68 Lesabre AC removal

Guest bugsy1955

Guest bugsy1955

Hello. My son wants to remove the AC. Can he just remove the compressor and hoses under the hood or is more involved?

On another note, anyone in the market for an AC from a 68 Lesabre?

Thanks!

Guest bugsy1955

He is having issues with the heating and ac system. Mechanic says ac system is shot. The heating system is having vacuum issues and currently only the floor and defrost work together and bi-level doesn't. Seems to be a vacuum issue. Since he (we) have to figure out the heating system, NHS figured my as well take out the ac.

Any suggestions, especially with fixing the heating system, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Guest Bob Call

Sounds like killing the chickens instead of mending the fence so the weasel can't get the eggs.

First, get a 68 Buick shop manual. They can be found at swap meets or on ebay, either used originals or reproductions or on CD's.

Sounds like the problem is the vacuum controls. Check out the troubleshooting tips in the shop manual to try to isolate the problem. May involve changing the duct door vacuum diaphragm or may be as simple as replacing a vacuum hose.

Leave the A/C alone! Striping the A/C from this land yacht will make it worthless to a lot of people if he ever wants to sell it.

Post the symptoms on the Buick forum below and you should be able to get help from the Buick guys.

After he sorts out the duct control problem he can then test the A/C and get it working. A/C will need to be evacuated and recharged with 134A and a new drier installed. Probably has dried out seals that have allowed the refrigerant to leak out and/or the control valve is bad.

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)

Oh, by the way, find another "mechanic".

+2

Removing the AC will not do anything to repair your vent control problems, it WILL reduce the value of the car significantly.

I do not know details about the 68 but, if you do not want to spend the money to repair the AC, simply figure out how to get the belt off the compressor or leave it on and freewheel the compressor if possible.

R

+2

Removing the AC will not do anything to repair your vent control problems, it WILL reduce the value of the car significantly.

I do not know details about the 68 but, if you do not want to spend the money to repair the AC, simply figure out how to get the belt off the compressor or leave it on and freewheel the compressor if possible.

R

You might need to get a different belt depending on if the a/c compressor is the only accessory on that belt, but removing the belt is a great idea.