Trunk wont open on Select 60 Vert

franc944

So this weekend I finally got to begin work on my Select 60 resoration. I bought this car in December on ebay from Tom Benvie in Mass.

1st step was I washed the whole thing in Simple Green and pressure washed the body and degreased the engine bay.

My plan is to get it running perfect and then bring it to the body shop for paint work and I will do the interior last.

The trunk will not open!

I tried the fob, key and glove compartment button. Nothing. Based on the key not working I suspect the lock linkage is disconnected / broken.

It is a convertible so I do not know how to get into the trunk through the car.

I have a parts coupe so I don't care what I break because I can replace it but I don't know where to begin to get this thing opened.

Typically I would drill the lock but on this car the latch is on the trunk so that won't work.

Any suggestions?

post-81692-143143100206_thumb.jpg

post-81692-143143100216_thumb.jpg

post-81692-143143100226_thumb.jpg

Take and pop the tonneau cover as if you were putting the top down, and with the top just sitting in the up position (not unhooked from the windshield) take a long stick or something to reach and pull down the orange handle on the trunk lick mechanism. You should be able to open it then.

About two weeks ago Nick Toth in Canada ( he has lots of Reatta shirts and hats etc for sale ) emailed me having the same problem.

I suggested he push down on the trunk lid while turning the key on the back of the car or while someone else pushed the button in the glove box and it worked for him.

Very often something will get jammed in the latching mechanism and won't allow the solenoid to operate and release the trunk. By pushing on the lid at the same time as trying to operate the solenoid all it takes is a little help.

If this doesn't help then the way is the way Mr Anderson explained above.

There is a spring that should pop the trunk lid off the latch and hold it there when the solenoid energizes. If that spring is broken or out of place the trunk lid will latch again when the solenoid de-energizes. Several people have had problems with the spring.

post-52331-143143100376_thumb.jpg

Guest my3buicks
Thank you for the help and advice.

I will futz with it.

So do I have the distinction of having the worst condition Select 60 on this forum?

Hey, at least you have a select 60

Guest my3buicks

Now Ol' yeller brings up a question - is your tonneau cover closed when you are trying to open the trunk?

Not to thread jack, but this seems a good place to ask: is there an interlock that prevents the trunk from being opened while the tonneau is up (and vice versa)? I have wondered this but hadn't looked at the manual as yet to see if they had the foresight to implement such a feature.

I have had an intermittent issue with my trunk release (by key, RKE or glove box button) not working (i.e. solenoid not firing) and seems to be an issue after the car has gotten wet from rain or washing. This may be coincidental, as it has happened a couple of times bone dry as well. Always ends up returning to normal before I have a chance to start troubleshooting it.

KDirk

Not to thread jack, but this seems a good place to ask: is there an interlock that prevents the trunk from being opened while the tonneau is up (and vice versa)? I have wondered this but hadn't looked at the manual as yet to see if they had the foresight to implement such a feature...

Yes, there is an electrical interlock.

Guest my3buicks

I had the trunk open once and went to pop the tonneau, I kept trying the switch and was thinking damn, what's wrong with this. Then I had the dah moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Simple question, when you push the button to open the trunk is there a loud "click" (possible stutters). If so there is a trunk linkage issue. If not there is a power issue (possibly the interlock). This is known as biage.