1930 transmission service

CarNucopia

I've been looking through the "Reference" and the "Specifications and Adjustments" manuals for information on how to drain and replace the fluid in the transmission. The diagrams show the drain plug, but not the filler. Am I overlooking the obvious? Is there anything I need to know about draining and replacing trans fluid on my '30 60-Series car?

Thanks

on the 26 (right hand drive at least) it's on the left side of the transmission near the top of the main casting (not as high as selector shaft). From memory it actually sticks out a bit, I don't know if they're prone to damage and replaced with just a standard bolt/screw.

Oh and, if you have a squeeze bottle with your oil prepare to have sore fingers - that stuff is thick!

Float your squeeze bottle in a pail of very very hot water. By the time the old oil has drained out the thick oil will be thinned and squeeze in easily.

Thanks for the advice. What type of oil do you guys prefer?

From memory, it's a steam cylinder oil in the gearbox (and rear diff) and when that's called for we use Penrite (which is an Australian brand that I believe is also available in some places in the US)

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=14&id_subcateg=70&id_products=83