Any 1916 Pilot Factory Literature Out There??? 1916 V8 8-55Engine Confusion

John Gunnell's Std Cat V8s says 1916 Pilot had a 3x51/8 289.8 V8, which matches up with the Buda DE/DEU...

Now I find classiccardatabase lists the 1916 with a Perkins V8 of 31/8x41/2 (actually says "4", but HP/CID matches the 41/2) 245.44 CID...

I understand none of the Pilot V8s are left (did they actually get into production and/or sold??)...

I will check for ads on Googlebooks, but hoped some factory info might be available...

I haven't found ANY installations of the Buda V8, but haven't searched exhaustively...

Automobile Journal 2-15-1916 issue, with specs of 1916 cars, agrees with 3x51/8, altho left engine maker blank...

Guest Xprefix28truck

Bud, I just got home from the Richmond Museum (Wayne Co. Historical Society). I met with the director of the auto section of the museum. We went thru all of the Pilot info they had with no luck on the V8 info you seek. The only thing mentioned was that there were 214 Pilots built that year. How many V8s there were was not mentioned nor who manufactured the V8. The literature they had was 1913,1917 and 1920. Not much help, Kent

Found the Company's 1915 announcements of the new 1916 V8 8-55---3x51/8, no maker named, matching the Buda---and a 1916 announcement that for 1917 the "larger cars" would be discontinued and production concentrated on the 6-45 models...

I would guess Buda wanted cash on delivery and Massnick-Phipps (Perkins) had engines in stock they wanted to move... it's also quite possible Buda simply decided they hadn't found enough orders to set up an assembly line and Pilot suddenly had to fall back on something available to an indeoendent with slowing sales...