Crankshafts

Guest hillslee

Guest hillslee

Hi there, can someone please help? I have a badly cracked crank in my 1910 Hup 20B Can anyone help with a source of having a new one made?

Ouch Roger - I can get it done down here in the Manawatu . B and H engineering in Palmerston North do all the Vintage car engine work for this end of the island and a lot for overseas - Currently they are making 1912 Simplex engines from scratch for a customer . They have certainly seen the inside of my engine and have made a camshaft for me and it was pretty cheap ( about NZ$600) and most of that was the cost of getting it hardened etc . I would thoroughly recommend their work they also give a 10% discount for VCC members . When we had my engine apart they crack tested my crankshaft which thankfully was ok but Graham (the owner) didn't think it would be a big job to make another one if needed If you want I can talk to Graham and get a rough idea of what it would cost to make a crankshaft. Karl

Guest hillslee

Hi Karl,

Would certainly appreciate that, whilst the crank is not broken at this stage I feel that is not far away as it had developed a distinct wobble and has 0.250 plus run out.I would not like to run it like this for fear of damaging other parts when it finally lets go. Roger

No problems Roger I'll give Graham a ring on Monday and let you know. I agree about not using it -My spare crankcase casting has a massive hole in the side of it where a crank obviously let go. I'm sure that we can get a crank made locally without having to worry about exchange rates and shiping costs . Will be in touch -Karl

G,day Huppers. A few years ago Edgar broke a crankshaft I think it was at the front pin. He had several cast in a foundry in Castlemain Vic from nodular iron. He had plans to have them made a little heavier but for reasons not known to me was unable to have that done.. He put one of his spare engines into the car in the meanwhile as the job took perhaps ten years. The main thing to remember when fitting the new crank is to be sure to line bore the main bearings or at least check the alignment with a length of ground bar. It is my belief that Hup 20 cranks break because of missallignment especially when the diaphragm is not a dowell fit in the crankcase. Max Burke Nulkaba 2325 Australia

Guest hillslee

Thanks Max.

I suspect most cranks are broken due to misaligned bearings and the flywheel at the front does not help either. Roger Hill, New Zealand

Roger - I spoke to Graham he thinks about $1800 to $2000 plus GST less 10% discount for VCC membership. He does say that the more he gets the cheaper he can do it - I'm deciding if I would like a spare. For our international friends NZ$2000 is today about US$1500 (GST is sales tax at 15% and I don't think applies for overseas sales ) Karl

I agree that the front flywheel/fan is a big contributor to stress on the crankshaft....one has to be careful to not use the engine as much of a brake when slowing down, and never slam on the brakes at speed (however ineffective, and I know it's hard to use "Hupp" and "speed" in the same sentence!) with the clutch engaged, as this puts terrific stress on the crank...

I thought someone in the Hupmobile club had reproduced crankshafts in the last few years....

Thanks Phil -I vaguely remembered that this had come up previously. I still have some reservations about a cast crank but the low horsepower of the Hupp might mean one is ok. Certainly sounds cheaper but by the time we factor in exchange rate and shipping and then do machining on top of this I suspect there won't be a lot of difference in cost for us -Karl