Calling all Ol' timers. Youngster in need of assistance with odd part.

Guest Thuff51

Guest Thuff51

Hello Buick members,

Appreciate all the help in getting my 51 Buick running and driving. I've picked up a new project 1941 Nash Slipstream 2 door and in need of assistance. As you can imigine the Nash forum dosen't get much traffic so I thought I'd turn to my Buick brethren. Attached are photos of the carb I have as well as a spacer item I can't seem to determine the function. My Nash technical book mentions no such item as well.

My questions: What is it? Can it be eliminated? what goes into the brass fitting as I know the vaccume advance line normally goes into base of carb itself (port on carb as well)

post-98114-143143093803_thumb.jpg

post-98114-143143093812_thumb.jpg

post-98114-14314309382_thumb.jpg

post-98114-143143093827_thumb.jpg

post-98114-143143093829_thumb.jpg

Looks like it serves to divert hot exhaust gases to circulate around the base of the intake manifold. When everything warms up, it reverts to it's full open state. Does the counterweight also incorporate some type of thermostatic function (bi-metallic spring)?? Hard to tell from the pictures. I would guess it mounts between intake and exhaust manifolds. The brass fitting probably feeds the vacuum wipers or vacuum advance.

Could have been optional for certain cold-weather regions?? Buicks have a similar piece, but it lives within a cast body instead of your spacer-style setup.

Interesting links between Buick and Nash - I think Nash was once chief engineer of Buick, or something like that. Beautiful Nash - I like the fastback styling.

Guest Thuff51

Thanks Jeff as you may be onto something with the cold weather idea. No spring that I can see which was the confusing part as it looks like the weights would flop around causing potential problems with airflow etc. Appriciate the help!

The part is not mentioned by Carter, but appears to be some type of governor. Although why one would be on a passenger is beyond me, unless your car was once used as a taxi.

One other comment: the carburetor pictured is a type BBR-1, which was Carter's price leader (read not their best) carburetor. Nash upgraded from the BBR-1 to Carter's best WA-1 carb for the 40 series Nash in 1946. If you plan to drive the car rather than show it, you would be happier with the 1946 carburetor.

Jon.

I have had Truck engines that have a Vacuum Governor. One was on a Fire truck from the 50's. Also the first thing that I thought when I saw it. Make perfect sense on a Pumper as you would not want the engine to over-rev while the "Load" changes while moving water or while waiting for the pump to charge. Maybe the guys wife was a lead foot and he added the Governor to keep her at a reasonable speed or to keep whoever was driving the car from over-revving it first thing in the morning and putting a rod though the block. Dandy Dave!

Another possible guess is an aftermarket 'upper end oiler'. What hooks to the port/fitting? I've seen systems that had a tank of Marvel Mystery Oil attached to the firewall with a line to the engine that meters the flow of the Mystery Oil. Perhaps this is where such a system attached?

Or some sort of WWII mileage gimick when fuel was rationed that would delay throttle response and a vacuum gauge that attached to the port to tell the driver he was in the 'green' zone? I've seen versions of those too.

Basically, What we are telling you is it is a neat thing that was not original. Take it off. Put it in the glove Box, Yes. It is a conversation piece... and Drive like the wind. ;) Dandy Dave!

Guest Thuff51

You guys are great and agree its now an interesting paper weight on my shop desk! As always appreciate the knowledge,thoughts, commments and assistance.

• 5 weeks later...

Basically, What we are telling you is it is a neat thing that was not original. Take it off. Put it in the glove Box, Yes. It is a conversation piece... and Drive like the wind. ;) Dandy Dave!

I would say to enjoy the car and "Drive it like you stole it" which is probably more fun than the wind.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)