Brush Transmissions

Bill Erskine

A couple of years ago there was some discussion about making Brush transmissions. Has any progress been made on this project?

I needed some of the clutch actuation parts for my 1908 Model D projects, so I borrowed a transmission and machined out the missing parts. That makes my Model D transmission complete. I also have a Liberty project with very few transmission parts. Since I was at it, i copied all of the clutch actuation parts for that project. I also machined out two extra sets. They are already spoken for. So, at least the clutch actuation parts can be made. They were a lot of work, but doable.

What I need for the Liberty project is: all the gears, the tail housing and the spider gear cage. I would be willing to machine out some additional clutch actuation parts to trade for the parts that I need.

Any parts or information on the progress of the transmission project would be appreciated. I can be reached at erskine@us.ibm.com or at 802-878-5303 in the evenings and weekends.

Thanks,

Bill Erskine

Hi Bill,

Bill Damewood from Ohio had been working on the transmission project but there didn't seem to be enough interest to make it economically feasible. To be honest I was surprised because I know of several members whose projects are stalled for needing a transmission and/or transmission parts. It seemed like there would be a great opportunity to get several more cars on the road if everyone went together and pooled resources to reproduce the transmission. Hopefully your post might help revive this worthwhile project.

John Guy

• 4 months later...

It ends up that I will have an extra set of internals for a Brush transmission.  I would like to trade this for parts that I need for my Liberty transmission.  If that is not possible, they are for sale.  Let me know what you may have or what you may need for your Brush transmission and we will see if we can work something out.

Bill Erskine