Noobie 51 Pontiac owner

Guest Austin51

Guest Austin51

Hello everyone- I am new to the forum and actually this is my first 50s car. I absolutely love 1950s Pontiacs so i picked up a 1 owner 51 Chieftan 2 door hardtop this weekend. It has the flat head 6 in it right now but that is not original. The car actually came with the original flat head 8 and transmission separate. Both are locked up solid and the 8 has been sitting outside for about 30 years. My first question is, are either of these engines worth anything at all? I would love to keep it all original and rebuild the 8 but its pretty bad, i havent pulled the plugs or pan yet but im sure its a solid block of steel by now. My other question is, what are the years and parts that will interchange on the front hub assemblies ( brake drums, spindles, bearings ) to chevy cars of the same year. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!!

hi austin, is the straight eight engine original to the car that now has a straight six ?, look on the left side of the cylinder head, you'll find two sets of numbers stamp into the top surface of the block both left front corner, and left rear corner, the left front corner should have the identical vin has the driver's door post will have. if not, you can use any 1950 to 1954 pontiac 268.4 straight eight engine, you didn't say if the transmission was a standard manual three speed, or the optional four speed single range hydra-matic. a friend of mine in southern california has a complete and running 1954 straight eight that one cylinder has either a burnt or stuck valve, and a complete 1954 dual range hydra-matic running transmission for sale, $500.00 for both. on parts interchangeability, 1949 to 1954 pontiacs used the same brake drums, spindles, bearings, chevy parts are not the same, and will not fit. a lot of body related parts are the same and shared by pontiac and chevy, but chassis related parts are more likely to be shared with oldsmobile 88, you can email me at charlessdv8@yahoo.com or look up pontiac chieftain club on facebook, the pontiac oakland club international is an awesome pontiac car club, you can check them out at poci.org they also have a facebook page. your 51 hardtop is either a 51-2537D, or a 51-2537SD, D is deluxe catalina, SD is super deluxe catalina, and a 52-2537SD is nearly 100% identical, different side stainless steel trim, slight difference in the hood lip bar. 1951 was pontiac's 25th anniversary. lots of parts can be found on ebay. let me know what other information you'll need. welcome to the old pontiac world.

charles l. coker

1953 pontiac tech advisor

tech advisor coordinator

poci

Guest Austin51

Thank you very much for the information!!! I am very excited to have you guys to lean on for advice. I will check tonight on the straight 8 and see if the vin matches. The car is a 3 speed manual. Can i get the information from you for the guy in california? I am very interested. Just need to see if he will ship it freight. Thanks again and i appreciate the welcome.

hi, i just talk to my southern california friend, it's another friend of his that's selling the engine, my friend "milt" will check with the other guy about getting the engine prepared for shipping, milt says it should be ok to do. milt will let me know what he finds out, will keep you informed.

Guest 50SedanDelivery

U-Ship.com is sometimes a better choice to get something like that across the country. I had a 239 6 cyl. and trans delivered that way when no one else would touch it.

Guest Austin51

sorry for not replying sooner. I travel for work sometimes and I am in remote places for weeks at a time. So, I was driving back from North Dakota in my duramax and lost a head gasket. I will not be able to purchase the engine right now. Thank you so much for trying to help me. Hopefully he still has it when I will be able to purchase it. Sorry for the inconvenience