More scary noises

Guest PontiacDude210

Guest PontiacDude210

Three years ago, you guys helped me track down a rattling noise in the rear of my 1990 coupe. It turned out to be a cracked shock cover and a sticky caliper. Now, there's a noise in the front and I'm losing my mind.

After pulling the car out of the garage this spring, it goes click on small bumps. Not big bumps, but small ones. I've put probably $500+ into tracking it down.

I've got new shocks all around, new shock mounts and new ball joints. The tie rod ends feel good. The clicking persists. What am I missing?

Guest PontiacDude210

I was lifting lightly on the fender and I got the noise to come out with no motor noise Or road noise to cloud it. Almost sure it's driver side lower control arm region. I'm thinking if I have my friend lift on the fender I can watch the sway bar end and see if it moves a little.

Guest PontiacDude210

You guys didn't steer me wrong. The sway bar link joints are shot. I replaced the driver side, it quieted down. The passenger side is making a little noise, but it took me 3 hours to do the driver side and I need to get some sleep. Maybe tomorrow night after work...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest PontiacDude210

So, I found the noises were, so far:

Sway bar links

Sway bar links again when the alignment shop left them loose

Shock mounts

Sub frame bushings

Loose radiator overflow tank shroud and tank

Exhaust heat shields

Not in that order. But today I took it down a dirt road after finding yet another source of noise and it seemed quiet. So far, so good.

Edited by PontiacDude210 (see edit history)