Parking Brake Cable

Tom_

For those of you that remember my last post I've now got the headlight motors rebuilt and a new power steering pump in that doesn't puke all over the parking lot. This week I'm trying to get the antenna nylon cord replaced. Progress is being made!

My parking brake has stopped working. The pedal doesn't ratchet and it has virtually no resistance except what I assume to be a return spring in the pedal. I'm 90% sure it's the front cable that connects directly to the pedal. Does that sound right? Has anyone done this repair before that can tell me how difficult it is/how to get to it? Maybe one day these little things will all be fixed so I can tackle the cam sensor code and ABS light.

Guest HuevosRanchero

make sure the release pull handle has returned all the way back in. Mine was doing this until I made some small adjustments for smooth operation.

Tom,

The cable that attaches to the pedal is a PITA to change. Hopefully it's more along the lines of what Robert says.

Just a word to the wise, If for some reason you find that you need to change the cable that connects to the "pedal" cable, be advised that that cable can no longer be had at any price. It is called the "Intermediate" cable. If you order one the part number will be cross referenced to the part number that belongs to the "Pedal" cable.

John F.

Go to www.reatta.net and you will find the instruction on rebuilding the antenna. The original factory parts are no longer available.....which is good because they sometime only lasted a few months. You can do it yourself with .108 weed eater line, or if you can silver solder, use plastic coated steel cable.

If all that fails send it to me and I will recondition it for $50 plus shipping.

I have what was marketed as 3/32 steel line with a plastic coating. It's really 1/8 with a 3/32 core and I figure I can get the plastic and mast hot enough to get it pushed up into the mast and then JB weld/silver solder the end in from the top.

I'm interested to know if the end of the brake cable can slip out of the pedal or if it's something simple like that. Because I never really use the parking brake (park on a flat parking lot in east TX) and one day I went out and had nothing but the pedal return spring. It's always worked, even after putting pads on the rear and fighting with the little arms to get it adjusted over a year ago it's always worked. So I never got a "I pushed the pedal, felt it give and had no parking brake" kind of moment it just worked one day and the next time it didn't.

I agree with huevosrancheros that your symptoms suggest that the release lever did not snap all the way back into position. Just push the lever and try again to ratchet the emergency brake.

Now regarding availability of cables. (I went through this last year) I ordered the intermediate cable (Raybestos BC93641 from RockAuto) and got the wrong cable. I actually got the forward cable which is the one that hooks up to the pedal. I contacted RockAuto and they promptly sent me another same part number / wrong part. I contacted them again and they gave me a refund and could offer no help for the correct intermediate cable. I did some searching and came up with Wagner P/N F129671. It is the correct intermediate cable for the 1988 Reatta and they are still available.

Rather long winded but I hope this helps.

Ron, I Googled it and came up with mypartsgarage.com. (800)320-3042. It says they have it in stock. If I remember correctly when I bought mine last year I found it on either E-bay or Amazon. I'm trying to find my notes. I had a few cross-referenced numbers but was able to find the Wagner part so I stopped looking for any more parts.

I went out and fiddled with the release handle and moved it around and let it snap back and tried the pedal several times. I still have just resistance of the spring. I stuck my head down there and it doesn't appear the cable is moving but I could be wrong.

While the parking brake is being discussed, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but, my '89 has cable sag. Always has had this condition. I can pump the pedal and it ratchets but the cable is either stretched or out of adjustment ( is that possible ). The cable sag is quite visible from the underside exterior. So, the actual rear brake never engages for parking. Is anyone familiar with this problem and solution? Apologies if this distracts from the O P.

Now regarding availability of cables. (I went through this last year) I ordered the intermediate cable (Raybestos BC93641 from RockAuto) and got the wrong cable. I actually got the forward cable which is the one that hooks up to the pedal. I contacted RockAuto and they promptly sent me another same part number / wrong part. I contacted them again and they gave me a refund and could offer no help for the correct intermediate cable. I did some searching and came up with Wagner P/N F129671. It is the correct intermediate cable for the 1988 Reatta and they are still available.

OK, this is news to me. I had the same problem you did. All the cross references used at the places I contacted were (are) wrong and I kept getting the front cable when what I wanted was the Intermediate cable. The Wagner P/N F129671 never came up. So, with great trepidation, I ordered this cable from My Parts Garage. com. because I need one and because I needed to see for myself that these cables can truly be had.

As I was typing this post, I got an Email from My Parts Garage that states:

Dear John F.,

We are writing to inform you that your order from My Parts Garage has been canceled due to the item being out of stock and discontinued by the manufacturer.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

http://www.mypartsgarage.com

MyPartsGarage Customer Service

1-800-320-3042

Click this email mailto:customerservice@mypartsgarage.com to respond.

Well... there you go.

John F.

Edited by Machiner 55 (see edit history)

John, Sorry to hear that it turned out like it did. I sent you a PM. I am absolutely certain the BC129671 cable is the correct intermediate cable. Now I guess it will be like trying to find that proverbial needle in the haystack. Sorry about that.

Yes I checked Rock Auto yesterday. They don't list it any longer.

Edited by fordrodsteven
corrected the Wagner part number (see edit history)

Guest HuevosRanchero
I've found my note! I have three P/N for the intermediate cable. GM P/N 1642481, Wagner P/N BC129671 and Bendix P/N C1703. I hope they can be found if needed. I sure hope that anyone taking Reatta's out of service get the Intermediate cables due to the scarcity of them!

Good info dude!