1910 Buggyabout

Buick Bruce

I already have too many projects, so normally don't go looking for more, but in my 40+ years in the BCA, it's always been a dream to get an early Buick. By chance, I checked the local Craigslist this morning and found:

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/cto/4979028952.html

I certainly hope to look at it tomorrow, but would appreciate any feedback from anyone more knowledgable about this era/vehicle to help determine if what's there is correct, and what might appear to be missing. My references at hand are 70 Years of Buick and The Buick by Dunham & Gustin. By their limited photos, it seems this car may be reasonably original. But I wonder about correct original frame & wheel color, and if it should have a set of lights on the cowl.

It's doubtful that I can seriously persue the purchase of this one at this time, but if it's a running original car, I'm more motivated to try. And if any other BCA members are interested, let me know what additional details & photos I can provide if I'm able to make arrangements to see it.

Thanks,

There's a Brass Buicks forum on Yahoo, join that and ask the question. This was, by far, the smallest car being made by Buick by that time, so be aware of drivability limitations (speed, hills, etc.). It might be like my Hupmobile, when there are times you wish it were a touring car, then you'd have two more people to help push it up the hill!

For what appears to be an old amateur restoration, my opinion is the asking price is optimistic by many thousands....

Thanks David, I'll check out the Yahoo forum. I agree that the price listed is VERY optimistic. It would have to be significantly softer for me to get serious about it. In my research earlier today I did see where this was " the smallest engine ever produced by Buick", but didn't think about the possibility poor uphill performance. And title is an issue, but it should be relatively easy for the current owner to get a duplicate title in CA if everything is indeed legitimate.

Bruce :

In the Me and My Buick forum check out the 1911 Buick model 14 by Joe Keilzik and his journey of restoration.. More than what I could ever know about these interesting little cars. Good luck as I had tried to buy a 1910 model 10 last September. Nice but a non-running vehicle with some originality issues and no firm price to negotiate to. The owner wanted to start at $20,000 and "dicker up". I don't believe he has sold it either.

Back in the mid 1970s an acquaintance of mine, who was a Buick nut, restored one of these and I recall being taken for a ride in it. I remember him saying it was an awful car. He said it leaked oil badly. It was Buick's only twin cylinder model that had a sliding transmission - the earlier ones were planetary - though it only has two forward gears. It is a very small car - wheelbase 79". I think that 1911 was the first model year for these although it may have been built and sold in 1910 as Buick seemed to have mid year introductions - I think to coincide with the agricultural shows in the summer.

IMHO.. That would be about top dollar for that little car. Would not be very good to tour in unless you tour with the one and two cylinder group. If that is not your thing. Let someone else buy it. It does look fairly complete. Not sure if the Mag and Carb on the floor board are extras, or off of the car at the moment. It does not say in the add that I could see. Looking close, it has been converted from the Mag to a distributor and points ignition. Also looks like it has a much more modern Carburetor on it. No cap on the Dist. or plug wires leads me to believe it may have issues. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)