1929 Oakland transmission

Guest rjones

Guest rjones

I am working on the 3sp manual transmission of my 1929 Oakland and have a question about parts. Is there an aftermarket resource for gears and bearings? Is there a resource for NOS parts? Am I better off to look for a good transmission and use it? Thanks for all the help!

I don't know Oaklands but I doubt they are much different than many other cars of that period. The only parts resource will be other Oakland owners (go down to the bottom of the general discussion section here - there is a Pontiac Oakland forum there). If the bearings are in good shape with no signs of spalling or roughness, leave them alone. If new ones are needed, take the number off the side of the bearing to a bearing supply company. Many of them are still available today.

Terry

Your bearings are still available from a bearing supply store. Don't even mention what they are for just give the counterperson the numbers.

Your front bearing is a 1208, the rear is 3306. All the others are bushings.

Guest rjones

Thanks guys! I figured the bearings were probably available so my biggest issue is gears! I'm at the point of how bad is bad. I know a couple of mine are shot and my spares aren't perfect but kinda close. My spares have the front edges of the teeth worn which I feel is gonna be typical of a used non-synchronized transmission gear. My reverse idler gear in the trans now looks like someone on a power shift went from first to reverse. The teeth are badly tapered and slightly twisted. It didn't help that somewhere someone put a really thick washer between the main drive gear and the front bearing on the input shaft. This spaced the input shaft back into the case by that amount causing issues at the back and every time it was shifted into 3rd the gear was chewing pieces out of the washer along with the gears dragging each other in other positions. This also caused one of the selector levers to twist, etc. etc! Did I mention that the bushings looked like 40 grit was used to fit them and their shafts looked the same! Even on of the bearings had spun in the retainer. So, I have an ok case and my spare looks promising, I would like better gears if I can find them, just looking for better parts if I can get them. I would like to build my spare back also so that it can be back on the list of parts that I could use if needed. Thanks again guys as always ya'll are a tremendous resource!