rare or not so rare?

my 54 Windsor convertible is one of only 500 made. rare, yes, but not very valuable. this Monaco is a nice car if in decent shape and can be a lot of fun to own and drive, especially with A/C. good engine, good tranny, and easy to get parts for. some body parts may be more difficult to get. if you like it and the price is right, go for it. it should not be an expensive car. skyler

I've had a number of relatively rare cars over the years. I enjoy being out and hearing the "wow, haven't seen one of those before!", and the "where in the world did you find that?" comments. Of course, it is generally because they were incredibly ugly or undesirable when new, but hey, I got tired of having to have $200K Camaros for anyone to enjoy seeing or talking about what I drive. You might be surprised how much you enjoy a car that others don't consider worth much of anything.

Everyone is an individual, hence everyone wants to have something

a little different from everyone else's. Your potential '67 Dodge Monaco

isn't "popular," so it's not common at shows. That makes it more interesting.

Consider that the models "rare" when new, often are quite common today:

The 1953 Buick Skylarks, the 1959 Cadillac Eldorado convertibles, the

Chrysler 300 letter cars, the 1958 Buick Limited convertibles. Though

they had low production numbers, they became popular, were saved

and restored, and they aren't scarce in the least on today's auction circuit.

Cars such as the 1959 Plymouth Savoy business coupe, the 1967 Buick Wildcat 4-door hardtop,

the 1974 Mercury Marquis have been forgotten. Are they on the verge of

disappearing? They're certainly much less common than the formerly rare,

now common, cars above. I challenge you, for example, to find a '74 Mercury Marquis

in excellent condition currently for sale!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Yes 30dodgepanel. That's the one. Very good looking, going to take a closer look tomorrow and see where we can go with this one. :rolleyes: If it's a go, then it would be restored like the Mercury.

Martin, keep us posted if you get it. Very interested in knowing more about the originality of things we can't see (the engine for instance). Looks like a very rust free car that has great potential.

Let me know if you don't buy it. I know someone else interested in it.

Guest exbcmc

I'll tell you what, with that Torqueflite trans it'll beat many a car out there. Basically an early version Roadrunner, less the beep beep horn. Or the Dodge Coronet Super Bee.

Rather low option level for a Monaco 500. I see optional air conditioning, power windows, bumper guards, and fender turn indicators. I think the remote mirror was standard and I'm not sure about the mother-in-law seat, can't see the radio well enough to note if it is just an AM. Those 11 inch drums are big but look small when seen in the pics next to that huge car.

That would be one seriously gorgeous car if restored to shiny Turbine Bronze metallic with the black roof and interior. I prefer the 68 version for the taillights and grille but the 67 has the better instrument cluster to my eye, plus chrome pillar/window mouldings on the inside.

How about being rare when new? Here (when in high school) my 58 Park Lane not only quite rare convertible it was a J code that is tri power 400hp. Only a handful

were built. I always consider Park Lanes with a Buick Limited. Both are big big bucks if you can find one, so is 57 Bonneville fuel injected.

I wish I kept that one, atleast I still have the license plates ..

In the background is a 1933 PD conv. try and find one I repent each day not counting the station wagon - thats still biting me you know where!

sam

post-75497-143143092083_thumb.jpg

Edited by GK1918 (see edit history)

Guest myold88

The full sized Dodge is rare but also not popular when new or now. I had a beautiful new '71 Dodge Polara 2 Dr H/T. I would love to have it back today. Go on E-Bay, there are few or no full sized Dodges listed for sale. I doubt this one will sell for much.

Well it looks like another one is going to get away. I did send a PM to 30dodgepanel and hopefully the person he has interested in it will be able to purchase it. Just wanted to save another one from be coming a resto-mod or parted out. Cars like these are getting harder to find at a good price. Usually they have no title, or the motor and trans is gone. I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles. Can't save them all, but want to.