Front end shaking hard

bob duffer

I was going down the street in my 34 Buick and all of a sudden the front end starts shaking violently . I hit the brakes and got out and could not see anything loose or broken.

Got back in and drove home , slower and no problem . Now the wife is REALLY against my old car hobby, says she is NOT getting in the car again.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

I have had this problem with my 29 Studebaker. I solved the problem with balancing, and rebalancing, the tires. Also, tightening up the tie rod bolts. Since rebalancing the tires, and taking up the slack in the tie rod, I have not had another episode of the out of control shimming in the front end.

Guest WKnighter

Google "Specialty Products" and see what they say about shimmy and death wobble. It is much more common on cars with a solid front axle. As a last resort you can add a damper.

Larry

Google "Specialty Products" and see what they say about shimmy and death wobble. It is much more common on cars with a solid front axle. As a last resort you can add a damper.

Larry

This Buick has INDEPENDENT FRONT SUSPENSION...

Tires are old, and probably seriously out of balance.

Check air pressure in tires, have tires balanced and / or replaced

Check front wheel bearing adjustment so that wheel/tire just barely.

I initially had a version of this when I first got my 1934 Buick. Wheel balance helped a lot, and then checking the front-end and the wheel bearings made a difference. Probably wouldn't have happened on a super-smooth road.

Just take it a step at a time --- or come take your wife for a ride in my 1934 Buick, and help her understand that, with time, attention, careful sorting-out, and a "few" more bucks, yours will be just as nice. (Or just sell yours and buy mine --LOL)

post-54863-143143089332_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

Bottom line is follow the advice and get it to a professional. Did you have the car thoroughly checked by a mechanic when you bought it ? You might ask the previous owner if he had that problem. Wayne

This topic has been discussed many times in these forums. Search up "death wobble"

Check: tire balance, bearings, tie rod ends, steering box, shocks, caster, I have never used more than 4 degrees, toe-in 1/8 inch. I have performed all of these inspections and adjustments at home my self with 100% success.

The only thing I need help with is the toe in, which was the solution the last time the death wobble happened. It was the 35 Auburn in my avatar.

Get the front end off the ground and try to move the front end components in ways they shouldn't.

If the shaking was at a low speed the balance of the front wheels should not make a violent shake.

A tire with a broken cord can make a car shake, spin the wheels and watch the tread from the front and for out of round.

This was recently discussed on the Pierce forum. Wear and tear on front end components is, of course, the major concern. One person stated that with 35psi in his tires, car would start the death wobble, but with 45psi, never.....though that was interesting....

Don't overlook the steering box too, and, if it has a 2-piece tie rod attaching to a center steering arm, it's center pivot bearing must not have any play allowing up and down motion. Anything loose from the box all the way out to the rubber that hits the ground can contribute to the problem. For a nominal sum you could buy a used "MoToR's Auto Repair Manual" that would help if you wish to eliminate probable causes yourself. Many years issues of it go back as far as '35, and your '34 may have a similar arrangement. .

This was recently discussed on the Pierce forum. Wear and tear on front end components is, of course, the major concern. One person stated that with 35psi in his tires, car would start the death wobble, but with 45psi, never.....though that was interesting....

Time to move where the road is not so bad.. :P Dandy Dave!

Guest Skyking
Time to move where the road is not so bad.. :P Dandy Dave!

Just got back to RI after 4 months in Florida. I dread driving my old cars on these roads. They are at their worst. Maybe it's time to start selling some........

Just got back to RI after 4 months in Florida. I dread driving my old cars on these roads. They are at their worst. Maybe it's time to start selling some........

Hi neighbor from Mass, 20 min from Prov, come and see the dent in my roof F350 at 20mph from getting launched with my head potholes ruts they are never

going to get out of this (billions $) to resurface. time to break out my Model T

From your description; your car has shown signs of the dreaded "Death Wobble".

Many have experienced this and it is no joke; it is deathly serious.

I personally have experienced this in 2 different older trucks. On both of them the diagnosis was simple; not the case of many other reported cases. On those 2 trucks, the problem was badly out of balance front tires; and the tires were also worn unevenly.

A lot of case are attributed to worn suspension parts; each part, doing it's turn in adding to a badly worn out front suspension.

Not all vehicles will exhibit this phenomenon, "Death Wobble"; but it usually takes something way out of specifications, either tires, shocks, front suspension parts, frame damage, front end alignment, and the list goes on.

The phenomenon, can also be seen on a motorcycle; WOW does that get your attention.

Something is out of specs on your car; don't drive it until a qualified technician looks at and fixes the problem.

intimeold

Guest Skyking
Hi neighbor from Mass, 20 min from Prov, come and see the dent in my roof F350 at 20mph from getting launched with my head potholes ruts they are never

going to get out of this (billions $) to resurface. time to break out my Model T

I hear you! After getting back here I heard the state wants to build a new sports stadium for $250 million. Are you kidding me? I bought a new Equinox in Florida and registered it there. I refuse to give this state any more money. BTW, the new car has been sitting in the garage since last Sunday when we got back. That's how bad the roads are here.........

Sorry for the rant but it really bothers me............

Hear hear...

An Equinox? Is that a car you drive twice a year? (LOL). I left northern NY 33 years ago for Texas. Yes I miss the many car activities in the Northeast, but not much else.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, steers better with a little higher tire pressure than 35lbs.

Guest Skyking
Also, steers better with a little higher tire pressure than 35lbs.

The tire would have less road contact at any pressure greater than 35lbs.

• 1 month later...

My experience with the "death wobble" in old Fords is:

When bad front end alignment with not enough toe in meets RR crossings or rough roads,

it telescopes the shimmy to any worn front end parts causing the death wobble.

Get the front end inspected and aligned, the watch out for pot holes and RR Tracks.

A friend is working on a 36 Special on this problem.  They almost have it fixed.  It's down now to the bearing in the swing arm being bad.  I'm not sure if 34 has that setup or not,  but that's something to check if it does and you still have a problem.  His is worn and it's amplified out by the time you get from the wheels to the steering wheel.  Just something else to check. 

I got new tires and a wheel balance  and the car rides great. Thanks for all the advice.

The tires were expensive but well worth it.

It looks like a few people missed post #30. Bob solved his problem with tires and a wheel balance.

Guest prs519

Bob,

Good for you.   I bet the old girl drives like  a vitnage Rolls now, with the bell-crank centerpoise(?) steering.  When it comes to steering and front -end suspension, this car is a masterpiece of engineering, Leastwise, my 37 Limited seemed to be. You could steer the enormous old car with one finger, as though it had power steering!

I saw he fixed it their,  but wanted to add the info I did since other people with the same problem will search out this thread for probably years to come to try to solve their own problem. 

Glad he got it fixed.  Nothing worse than something keeping you back from driving your old car that can be fixed.