1968 Riviera rear axle bearing retainers

Guest McBuick

Guest McBuick

I need 2 retainers for rear axle bearings. I have purchased two different sets of bearings and although the bearings are correct the retainers are too big, slide all the way to bottom of axle.

OR does anyone out there think I can safely repair the retainers that were cut off, they are not cut all the way though. HELP!

Thanks,

Michael

This is interesting. Searching Rock Auto.com it does appear the axle bearing changed in 68 to being larger than in 67. Here is a link to a bearing and retainer for a 67 and it lists the dimensions of the retainer. See if that's the dimension that you need. Post back when you figure this out. Whats odd is if the bearings you bought fit the axle but the retainer does not since the ID of both have to be pretty close. Even though you bought two different brand bearings they could have been made by the same company. What brand did you get?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Axle-Shaft-Bearing-Assembly-C-TEK-Standard-Rear-Centric-411-61000E-/281280848785?fits=Make%3ABuick&hash=item417da52391&vxp=mtr

Guest McBuick

Hi Jason, Thanks for the reply- I see where you are going with this and it is an interesting theory but although the OD of the Bering is larger the ID is the same on both the 67-68 bearing. 1.531 in. The bearings I have now are the C-Tek and I also had a set of Precision. I found some NOS retainers on Buick Farm that list 66-70. I'm going to order those and see what happens. Keep you posted!