Where can I get a backing plate for 1957 GMC drum brakes????

Guest Joshhirst13

Guest Joshhirst13

Hey guys. I was driving my truck home from work thismorning & started hearing a loud banging noise. As I was getting off the off ramp my rear driver side wheel came off & it took me until the bottom of the off ramp to come to a stop. Ughhhhhh!!!!! Scary $&@? !!!!! Needles to say my rear driver side backing plate is ground down to the bottom of the self adjuster & I'm thinking I'm in need of a new backing plate. Anybody know where I can get a new or used one & from what years will work?

Thanks

post-99262-14314308808_thumb.jpg

Guest Bob Call

Josh

I think you may have to start searching the internet for vintage parts salvages. Also a phone call to LMC truck parts might help to determine if your truck shared rear axle assembly with Chevy. Maybe get a Vintage Truck magazine and see what ads are in there. Hemmings also might be a good place to check for parts vendors.

You didn't say what series your truck is, but, from the picture it looks like 6 wheel studs so I assume a 100 series. If so, 57 thru 59 Series 100 used Spicer (Dana) 45 rear axle. I looked in Hollander Interchange but it does not list backing plates. It looks like some 55 & 56 Mercurys, some Packards and some Chevy trucks also used Spicer 45. Other than the Chevy truck they would have had 5 wheel studs. This makes me think that the brake parts are supplied by the car company and not Spicer. If your truck's brakes are not the same as the 55 thru 57 Chevy then they may be 58 - 59 GMC only. Maybe someone with a Raybestos or Wagner parts catalog will read this tell your what other car or truck used the same shoes, wheel cylinder, adjuster, etc. as your truck and then probably the same backing plate.

Lots of vintage parts vendors list all brake parts except backing plates.

Good luck.

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)

Guest Bob Call

Josh

I just looked at RockAuto.com and it shows 58-59 GMC 100 and 55 - 57 Chevy 3100 as using the same 11 by 2 inch shoes and drums. So, the backing plates are most probably the same.

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)