Kickdown switch bench check/service

alini

Im preparing all the stuff to get mounted to the engine now that its in. My kickdown switch doesnt seem to be working. I hooked a meter up to the yellow wire (power) and checked for resistance through it to the other two wires (transmission end) I get a connection between one connector but not the other. It does start signalling around 40% throttle but its intermittent at best. Is there service procedures, it doesnt seem to be something I can take apart. I havent started shopping for a new one, if they are even available.

Suggestions?

David, Chris,

they are serviceable but they need to be taken apart cleaned and reassembled. I did it to mine. I had to jb weld the cover back on to make a tight seal. If I'm not mistaken, the wire that you got a connection with at 40% is the kick down circuit and is supposed to kick in at a part open throttle position. If either of you would like, I will try and service yours as I did mine at no charge, but no guarantees also.

arnulfo

Here is a shot of the switch disassembled. Power comes in on the Right hand side of the terminal block and with some throttle input the block in the middle is pushed by the rod. The triangle contact touches an off idle position (Books say 40% throttle) and makes contact to the final contact at full throttle. The roller to the left of the block is the 'bearing' for the block to slide on. Not alot to it, just its crimped together so you have to be careful spreading it apart to disassemble.

post-86247-143143093049_thumb.jpg

Cleaned all the pieces, put some new dielectric grease inside and reassembled. Nice smooth operation, I even got the rubber boot to clean up nicely. I put my battery booster on the car to similuate the battery just to check....headlights worked...and it didnt catch on fire yet ;)

post-86247-1431430949_thumb.jpg