1957 Buick suspension problem solving. Your remedy?

1958bkspecial

Hello Everyone;

I have read many previous posts from other 1957 Buick owners about solutions to the loose play /alignment problems resulting from the one year ball joint application. Many have talked about the expense of rebuilt joints. Others have decided to change the A-arms converting to '58-60 Buick arms and using a different ball joint altogether.

I notice the steering wheel on my '57 Century wants to go to the right as soon as I let go. I have had a reputable mechanic tell me that I need new control arm bushings and new ball joints. I told him about the reputation the '57 ball joints have. His answer was, "while we are putting new bushings on the control arms , the ball joints should be done since they have a lot of play in them".

My heart sank as I know the cost of those suckers! $$$$ :(

My questions are this..... How many owners have actually used rebuilt ball joints with success and how long did they last? Is there a cheaper way to rebuild them?

When converting to 58-60 Buick A-arms /newer ball joints ,did you notice good results? Are the suspension parts the same on all of the series 40, 50, 60 ,70? How does this affect the originality?

Since I do not have the tools/know how to mechanically do this, I am wondering what to do. I can picture the whole process from diagrams and reading but I don't have the skills or tools needed. I am trying to find a cost effective way to improve the suspension. Thank you for your suggestions and experience. Jim

Before you do anything with the ball joints you should be aware that .062" play or slop is NORMAL in the lowers. They were built that way. Almost nobody except a few 57 owners are aware of this. It's addressed in the service bulletins because joints were being changed for no good reason. Unless a mechanic is aware of this fact the joints do indeed seem shot.

Some one should chime in with the correct scan of the manual. If not I can scan it for you............Bob

• Like 2

• 8 years later...

I wanted to revive this topic as I am soon to be in the same boat with my 57.  The steering was super sloppy and the PO put a steering stabilizer on as a solution.  It certainly makes it driveable, but is not the root cause solution.  Has anyone come up with alternatives to the original ball joints and their $500 rebuild cost?  Since my 57 came to me far from original, I am not super motivated to try to take everything back to original on this.

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)

Sometimes the going rate is what you have to pay. Knowing the factory and aftermarket part numbers can help. You can maintain a search on the MOOG part number. I have purchased a lot of suspension parts that way as long as there was not an urgency. I knew 1960 Buick ball joints carried a premium price when I bought my car. I bought a set at my price and my leisure that have been on the shelf for 20 years now.

Close diagnostics is important as well. How many owners have purchased and installed new part only to find the car still drove poorly. I like to disconnect the steering linkage at the steering arm and work my way disconnecting links all through the system. You need to look close. Those parts are pretty durable. I did a front suspension job on a '65 Cadillac one time the brake drum was cutting into another part. Unsafe but the owner was still driving it and getting awards.

Check thoroughly and pay the going rate for parts. If the job gets done cheaper than typical know exactly why. Be careful, people trying to do a job for less money usually spend more and get less in the end.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Buick's first ball joint suspension in 1957 was a one year design.  This design was not preloaded and if you test the ball joints in the conventional way you think they are worn out and need replacement.  Many good '57 ball joints were replaced with out need and quickly used the limited aftermarket supply of them.  Check the 1957 shop manual for the specific method to evaluate the condition of these ball joints.

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1