Restoration Etiquette

Guest gonesouth

Guest gonesouth

I am currently negotiating for a late 30's Packard which will, among other things, need a complete painting. My thought has been to convert it from it's existing dark blue to a yellow colour. The plan is for the DW and I to use it as a weekend joyrider, attending cruise-ins and small regional shows and possibly Packard shows when convenient. We have no interest in the Pebble Beach type of show..... In the long run I see us putting it with a teardrop or 'Tin Can Tourist' type trailer painted to match and staying at nearby campgrounds when attending multi-day events. Ideally, we might take it south some winters.

Is this dancing on someone's grave or within normal behaviour? Does it mean that the car is forever banned from respectable non-concourse shows?

Also, what colors are usually used for the engine compartment and underside?

Thanks

Jim

A rule of thumb that I would follow if I had your intentions, is that I wouldn't deviate too far from its original configuration, and make sure that all the original parts and pieces are saved so that the next owner can put it back to original factory condition if he chooses to do so. This may also make it easier to sell, either by you or your heirs, when the time comes.

Guest gonesouth

Larry,

I understand that some people may prefer to buy a car that has been kept or restored to 'original'. But aside from that, are there levels of fidelity? There are some discussions about choosing colors from the appropriate year Packard list. Is this seen as a crime? or acceptable?

Thanks (Not trying to argue, just to clarify)

Jim

Painting a late 30's Packard yellow? Maybe an open car, it would look terrible on a closed car. Also the shade would come into play. I don't think of yellow on anything but a taxi from that vintage. Just my two cwnts.

Guest gonesouth

Ed you are probably right....I was really thinking of a pale yellow, close to a cream, but also not an open car.

Guest gonesouth
check the factory colors for your year. Is there one that pleases you? If so this can be a good route

Good idea. I'll look at that.

Thanks

Guest bkazmer
Good idea. I'll look at that.

Thanks

I think "Ivory" is the only 38 and 39 color that fits your description. Remember that chips are not terribly accurate

Gonesouth, FWIW my two cents; a quality repaint in an alternate Packard color for the year is not a big deal. Especially on a sedan.

I would pay attention to Ed's good advice though, to consider the color carefully. The big sedans of the day look better in darker colors, IMHO, but I think the market agrees. I have seen some situations where an otherwise decent car for sale sits due to an odd color choice. I attached a couple pictures of my 1939 Packard (sold these pics are from new owner). The color is Havana Beige, a correct (and in my case original to the car) Packard color for the year. It may be a nice compromise if you want something a little lighter, I will say I had dozens of compliments on the paint with this car. Just figured I would put it out there for you.

I have a friend who has had a XKE Jag 2+2 since he was 16, or around 40 years. It was originally primrose but has been silver and now maroon - he thinks it would look like a banana in the original color due to the bodystyle. On the other hand, I had a yellow TR-6 which is one of the best colors for that car, IMHO. So it is really worth your while to choose a color to suit the car.

Good luck Packard hunting.

post-50141-14314308635_thumb.jpg

post-50141-143143086367_thumb.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Guest bkazmer

1937-1947-packard-six-1.jpg

I know it's earlier, but here is the basic look in a closed car.

I kinda like it, but then I'd like the primrose E-type if it weren't a 2+2

Guest gonesouth
1937-1947-packard-six-1.jpg

I know it's earlier, but here is the basic look in a closed car.

I kinda like it, but then I'd like the primrose E-type if it weren't a 2+2

Beautilul Car!!!!

Guest gonesouth
[ATTACH=CONFIG]306487[/ATTACH]This is the original color of my 38 coupe- Packard Ivory White

That coupe is the exact colour I had in my head!!!

Guest gonesouth

Imperial, I share your point of view, but being new to the hobby I would like to avoid at leasr some of the newbie mistakes. And experience has taught me that my elders usually have knowledge or wisdom that I stiil lack. So I would like to respect their wisdom at least until I know it to be wrong.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest gonesouth

Up above I was advised to look at factory colours for that year, but I can't find any for 1938. Packard -info has 1931 and later in the 40's. Where should I be looking?

I'm painting my Buick a yellow (it's called Sequoia Cream on a Buick) that is almost identical to that.  It's certainly no Packard, but I love the color (car's "supposed" to be black, but as long as it's a same year color that was available, it's "ok" according to the Buick judging manual should I ever decided to show it.)  I'm also going with the optional red wheels.

I don't think too many folks would be bothered if they even knew as long is was a period (or even year) correct color.

I'm restoring a prewar car that was documented in period as "Tomato Red" as it was built for the NY auto show.  The chassis was red, the suspension was red, the everything was red.  I'm a stickler for originality but I could not make myself paint a prewar car bright red.   Instead I'm going with a non metallic dark blue that is period appropriate and I think will look good on the car.  I see myself as correcting a factory mistake.   Generally, though I argue for the original color, or a color that was available for that particular model.  I had a little more room for creativity as this car was not a factory color from the beginning.

You won't go wrong painting it a color that was offered on your car when it was new. I see old cars painted new car colors all the time and they always look "off" like something doesn't fit. When they get a little old, they just look sad and tacky. An original color looks right, and will age gracefully if maintained correctly (wash and wax regularly).

Engine compartment, body and firewall should be body color, chassis most likely a semi gloss black, engine Packard green. Those are the general rules, I am sure the Packard experts can be more specific about individual parts, etc. Painting the chassis, engine and accessories correctly and adding reproductions of the original decals and stickers, this is one of those things that cost very little but add a lot to the spirit of the car.

There is nothing wrong with pulling a small trailer within reason. Be sure you have a good hitch, and your brakes and cooling system are up to par.

They pulled trailers with cars like yours when new, but at that time hiway speed with a trailer was only 35 to 40 MPH. Therefore I suggest you confine yourself to shorter trips, on regular roads (not super hiways). If you want to take a longer trip get a newer car, one from the sixties or seventies will work a lot better.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Well, it depends on the year of the Packard. If it is an early '30's the frame was likely gloss and the firewall would be black regardless the body color, except if it was a 900 or 1001 in which case the firewall would be body color. I have an original 1932 Packard hood that was tomato red or what I call "watermelon red".

The advice about going with a factory color from that year is spot on. I don't think a soul would know otherwise, or care. If you go "Kustom" folks will know from 100 yards away, but it doesn't sound like you are that type. As to what is what color under the hood--that unfortunately is a sort of game that the clubs play, and the PAC is no exception. The game goes something like this: "We half-dozen guys, who have known each other since 1960-something, who found all the good "original" cars,  know what was done by the factory. We will judge your car when it is finished and (maybe) tell you what you did wrong"   My bone of contention is: if you can tell me after I'm done why can't you tell me before I spend the time and material (=money)?   I tried to get an email list going with the club and there wasn't a lot of interest. The Lincoln Club does a fantastic job--they take the factory exploded diagrams from the parts book and simply added the legend of the individual part's finish. That's a fair game, and it covers what happens when those "in the know" go the way of all flesh.  

Guest gonesouth

The advice about going with a factory color from that year is spot on. I don't think a soul would know otherwise, or care. If you go "Kustom" folks will know from 100 yards away, but it doesn't sound like you are that type. As to what is what color under the hood--that unfortunately is a sort of game that the clubs play, and the PAC is no exception. The game goes something like this: "We half-dozen guys, who have known each other since 1960-something, who found all the good "original" cars,  know what was done by the factory. We will judge your car when it is finished and (maybe) tell you what you did wrong"   My bone of contention is: if you can tell me after I'm done why can't you tell me before I spend the time and material (=money)?   I tried to get an email list going with the club and there wasn't a lot of interest. The Lincoln Club does a fantastic job--they take the factory exploded diagrams from the parts book and simply added the legend of the individual part's finish. That's a fair game, and it covers what happens when those "in the know" go the way of all flesh.  

John, the 'keep your cards close to your chest' mentality explains a lot about the perception that younger people are not moving into the hobby......After all, most of us can go to our own church and get treated that way!

One or two of those old guys could really do something to be remembered for by putting together a book like you describe.

Much to their credit, Packards International has published a guide, sort of like this, not as thorough, but at least it's something. I thought the email list was a simple interim solution. Post your question to the group, get their consensus, or at least be entertained by their arguments, then choose paint colors/finishes.