Prequalification check

Guest my3buicks

Guest my3buicks

I personally was pleased to see the prequalification check elimited this year. It should make logistics much easier for the national event planning, less volunteers needed, etc. to me it was a time waster and I'm happy to see it gome.

I can see where car owners might say that. However, one of the functions of the prequalification was to get a decent picture of your car, identified by registration number, for the annual Meet issue of the Bugle in October. Now the car owners will be strongly urged to go to a photo booth and have a picture made. Without pictures identified by registration number, it is impossible for the Bugle editor to associate awards with cars for publication in the Bugle National Meet issue. Although it will be less work for the owners, it could make the editor's job much more difficult. And if you want a picture of your car in that issue then you have to get a picture taken and recorded accurately.

Also, judges sheets for all classes (except Driven) were collected at the prequalification booth. One of the advantages of that is so the judges know for sure that your car is here. If there is no judging sheet, the assumption is the car is not here and they don't waste time looking for it. Without the prequalification, the judges sheets for the 400 point system may not be turned in by the owner, which could cause confusion at the time of judging.

I would prefer keeping the prequalification check. I understand the owners think it is a hassle, but not having it could add more complications to the internal workings of the show. We'll see how it goes this year.

Guest my3buicks

Pretty good chance if the owner picks up his registration packet at registration the car is here, that would also be an easy place for the owner to be ased if the car is here. Nothing wrong with the age old method of leaving the judges sheet on the dashboard so it's there when the judges come around. If the car is not in it's line to be judged, it's simple, it doesn't get judged. We never seemed to have issues getting pictures prior to the initiation of the pre qualification check. Another issue that I have actually seen happen in the prequalification Check was owners cars have headlights blowout when being tested, many of these bulbs are Way past their life expectancy and are absolutely never used on these cars except for that one time when the BCA just has to make that check. So then the owner gets points taken off for a cloudy headlight later in judging.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Well heck. Now I won't have a job, won't be the first to see the cars, and won't get to meet as many nice people. I agree with the points that Roy brought up. In addition the check is the last place to notice that a fire extinguisher is not present, then you have a chance to go get one before the judging. Lack of a fire extinguisher was the only reason I would not pass a car, but there were a few that were driven to the show that had defects like non-functioning brake lights that the owner did not know about and had a chance to fix before driving home.

Willie

I understand Keith's orientations BUT I also fully understand Roy's and Old-Tank's comments too. IF the judging operations might be upgraded to build judging sheets when the cars are judged (as in a template on a tablet by each judge and judging captain), then collecting the judging sheets at the Operational Check would not be necessary.

The Operational Check (previously known by another name in prior times) is a "Right of Passage" into the 400 Point Show Field. It ensures that all safety-related items are functional and present (as Old-Tank noted) and is worthy of being a fully-functioning vehicle on the show field, rather than otherwise. It's also the best place to get the picture documentation of the car being at the show, rather than just a "grille shot" on the show field. I consider it more of a formality than a "headache", although that could be a point of reference issue.

Additionally, I've been to a lot of car shows where some of the allegedly nicest-done cars had operational issues that just should not have been, all things considered. I know that many owners thrash in the final hours before the car departs for the meet (hauled there) and before it goes to the show field. Seeing something like a non-functioning signal light or windshield wipers that don't work anywhere near how they should is a HUGE detractor for me. Indicates that the owner might be more concerned with the purely cosmetic issues of a car rather than ensuring that it's completely road worthy and would pass a State Vehicle Inspection operation. And, as Old-Tank mentioned, the Operational Check can help a frazzled owner catch a recently-defective signal or stop lamp that worked the last time the vehicle was driven, but not when it got to the show.

I would HOPE that all owners of vehicles being shown in ANY class at a BCA National Meet would take enough pride in their vehicles to ensure that ALL vehicular systems were "operating as designed" at the time of the show event. This can further ensure that should a spectator ask for a demonstration, such demonstration of the vehicle's system(s) would go well and suitably impress the spectator with how well the older Buicks were designed and built. What awards it might accumulate are not important in this orientation, just that the vehicle operates as good as it can.

Some might not agree with me, but that's how I see it.

Regards,

NTX5467

The prequalification checks the operation of such things like the lights, turn signals, wipers, horn, etc., and sees that there is a fire extinguisher and safety glass (where appropriate). The operational conditional of these items is not something a judge does in the normal routine of judging a vehicle. A judge will look at the condition and authenticity, but not operational. The judges will now have to check for a fire extinguisher and safety glass as part of their judging routine and will have to disqualify a car if they are not there. So, if you are having a car judged, be sure to have a fire extinguisher first.

Guest my3buicks

You know if you don't have a fire extinguisher in your collector, classic, antique car you desire to be disqualified, it's just like breaking a law, ignorance is not an excuse.

During the past few years, Frank Batty of the Minuteman Chapter was the guy who manned the Pre-qual station. He always made a point of having extra extinguishers on hand for sale just in case someone didn't have one or forgot theirs. Hopefully, an attending Chapter might have a swap-meet table present with a number of extinguishers for sale.

Not to mention a fool for NOT having one. I have seen a very nice car burn because the owner had cheaped out on the fire extenguisher and bought a small one. By the time any of the rest of us got there it was too late.

Buy the biggest one you can, the car you save may be your own.