REO Hub Cap; large Car or Truck? Identification needed

Ric Dean

… Identification needed on the year and Model of this REO Hub Cap, I have had this for 45 + years now I’d like to restore it and hang it on the wall. I was also wondering what color and type Plaiting it had?

The Bolt circle is 7 by about 6 7/8 inchs that part has a diameter of 10 inches.

I couldn’t find anything online to help.

post-70217-143143084705_thumb.jpg

Thank you, Ric

post-70217-143143084701_thumb.jpg

Flying Cloud.

[h=3]Hi alsancle,[/h]… Thanks for your help on this being a Flying Cloud; what year would you say? I have been searching for 2 days but can’t find any photos of Flying Clouds do you have a source for some?

[h=3]I like that Schumacher Special album.[/h]Ric

Just google "Reo Flying Cloud" and you will find lots of good pics.

Fleek

… Yes I have tried google and evilBay etc., but no Flying Clouds of this vintage I have seen literature with artist renderings but the detail is obscure. 1929 isn’t even close and in 1934 they went to the simple pop on domed Cap so my cap must be 1930-1933. Note this cap has a REO Logo with the ‘E’ in an exaggerated V shape, the only one I have seen so far. This Cap I have shown has the wheel 7 bolt circle and really sticks out a lot; easy to spot.

Thank you, Ric

The photo I posted in post #7 has the same caps.

keiser31

... I saw your post; the Wife called me away but I’m back. I started doing a search for 1930 REO Flying Cloud for closer Hub Cap detail. That Cap looks all Chrome is that photo, is it available with more pixels?

Thank, Ric

... By doing a specific ‘1930 REO Flying Cloud’ search, more photos became available. This is getting complicated but I was able to find that there were alternatives in early 1930’s REO Flying Cloud Wheels and Hub Caps & Wheel Covers. It appears my Hub Cap only came on the Wood Wheels; although those photos lack clarity but they do narrow the quest. There were different Hub Cap faces on my style Cap.

… My search has been satisfied with the exception of what colors were used in the embossed REO Logo etc. I have seen red or black but those are back ground photos.

Thank you, Ric

… I found some more photos of early 1930s REO Flying Clouds; but still not an exact match with mine but getting real close. Take a look at the 1931-32? Flying Cloud photo, that is one gorgeous automobile. Also you can see on my cap the E in REO is different from any other REO that I have seen. Seems to be that red is the color most often used for the logo. It looks like REO used this similar style protruding Cap for 3 years but only on Wood Wheels.

post-70217-143143095502_thumb.png

post-70217-14314309551_thumb.png

post-70217-143143095517_thumb.jpg

If your bolt hub has 9 bolt holes in it . This could be a 1930 to 1931 Reo Flying Cloud Model 25 or Model 30 hub cap .

Mark

... The Bolt circle is 7 by about 6 7/8 inchs; does that narrow it down as for what model its for?

thank you, Ric

The only thing I could find with 7 bolt pattern and similar hub cap design was an ad for a 1930 Model 20 Coupe. Click on the photo a few times to enlarge it.

Hope it helps

Hello 30DodgePanel

… I have seen that particular artist rendering of a 1930 Model 20 but haven’t paid much attention to it because at times artists are not always committed to accuracy; but I just noticed the Side Mount Wheel has better detail and you are right that could be the one. You probably also noticed the inner part of the Cap has a chrome circumference outside the lug nut area similar to the 1932 REO Royale Cap, see that photo in this thread; and I bet my cap once had that feature.

Thank you for your input, Ric

Here is a 31 Royale. Same logo, but the bolt pattern seems different. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3524/3200444642_8a62391183_o.jpg

Fleek

... That is the exact Logo! the 1st one I have seen other than mine. the bolt spacing is not the same because that’s not the same kind of wood wheel; that wheel takes the smaller 1920s screw on cap. This tells me that Logo design could be an earlier one.

Thank you for that excellent Photo over 2K pixel it took a while to load but was worth it; that thing took my breath away; I brought it down to 700 pixel and reposting.

Thanks again, Ric

post-70217-14314309784_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...