65 Riv Rochester stumble proboblems

Guest Patrick J

Guest Patrick J

Thanks for the info 3/12/2015 regarding my 65 Riv 401 and the problems with getting a new carb (bad info from Edelbrock) or getting the existing Rochester rebuilt to cure a stumbling problem. I finally decided to get the old one rebuilt, mostly because I didn't want the hasle of refabing the air clearer, and found a great outfit (mostly great), ReCarbCo 880 Howe Rd. Martinez, CA 94553. 925-439-7030 or 800-282-2272. It came back like new with all new screws, caps, and plugs. They also run the rebuiltcarb on an engine before giving it back. I only had to make a slight idle adjustment. $3XX well spent. On the down side, they are a little slow, and don't like to answer the phone (can be frustrating and time consuming trying to get a hold of them, but they do call back). Place is hard to find, but worth the effort. They actually know what they are talking about and had several books with Riv information in them. Found out mine is a 690 CFM, and that Rochester made two other smaller ones for the 401 in '65. Mine is one of the three for the '65 401. The only complicating factor I've found out since is that my 65 has a three-outlet fuel filter. All the literature suggets it should only be 1 in and 1 out. The previous owner put in a new gas tank, and maybe he was stuck getting one with a return line. Anyway, thank you again for the information I appreciate the help, time to go cruizing. Patrick.

P.S. Just found out from RivNut, only the Riv's with AC had the third gas line.

Edited by Patrick J (see edit history)