advice needed!

Guest druss71

Guest druss71

I just bought a 71 charger 500, I'm 18 and need advice on what I should do to it too enhance performance and what not. First, she needs a new exhaust however, I've been looking at brands such as flowmaster and magnaflow, and each system sounds good at an idle, but not when the RPM's are high, any advice on what I should do to give it that classic deep choppy rumble?

Second, she's painted the original citrus yella color however, there's some body rust that I have to tackle so shes going to need a paint job, would it hurt the value to paint it a different color?

Changing color usually does hurt unless the car is such a horrible color from the factory that it won't make any difference. As a general rule, most resto-mods will not increase the value (at least by the amount they cost) and many will hurt the value. Best bet is to get it drivable and then go after cosmetics. Any original parts still on the car that you take off (for whatever reason) should be carefully labled and boxed for the day you want to send it down the road.

The 1971 Charger 500 is a cool car and any changes to non-original will detract from it's value. Granted, it is not the rarest automobile on the planet, but when you alter it, especially the engine size and body color, you will later be trying extra hard to offload it. If you repaint, the next guy has to repaint again to put it back to original color. If you plan on keeping the car for a very long time, do what you like with it and enjoy the heck out of it. There were 11,948 1971 Charger 500s built.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)