generator adjustment mechanism.

R.White

My 6 volt North East generator has a screw in the end plate for 3rd brush adjustment (and a clamping screw) but the adjustment mechanism no longer works. It looks like some kind of rack and pinion affair but I need to get the generator off the car to get a better look. Has anyone had experience of this problem and if so can they help / advise me on a fix please.

I think the serial No. is 327. Another number stamped is 6334B.

Ray.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4dd8d9fb/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

The screw just keeps turning. It's not connecting properly with the mechanism; as though it's stripped a thread or something. With the cover off, however, I was unable to move the third brush. It's as though the brush can only be moved with the screw. It was working O.K. last year but now I seem to have broken something.

I didn't really want to remove the end cover to get to the mechanism because I have no experience of North East generators and knowing my luck it won't go back together again! The generator was a rebuilt unit imported a couple of years ago and works well but I need to reduce output a bit.

Ray.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4dd8d9fb/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

The screw has a little gear on it which meshes with the brush holder.

BTW....I said "jar" the screw......not beat the hell out of it...... :rolleyes:

Between gently prying on the brush holder and trying to turn the screw it has to move........there isn't anything else holding it....... :confused:

The screw just keeps turning round without moving the brush holder either way so perhaps it's a broken pinion? I tried prising the brush holder but it won't go either way despite making sure the clamp screw is loose, so what 's stopping it I don't know. Perhaps a little WD40 would free it?

Please advise me...

It looks like the the back comes off as you would expect but is there anything about this unit that could cause me problems?

Can the mechanism be repaired?

Ray. <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4dd8d9fb/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Update: I have been able to free off the 3rd brush and slide it either way. I can now adjust the output directly.

Thanks Guys.

P.S. the damaged parts have been retrieved from the machine and I plan to restore it to normal.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

The little sprocket had broken off and caused the mechanism to jam. I am scratching my head about how it was fitted on the shaft of the screw? What stops it from turning or coming off? Is it just a press fit?

Also, the locking screw had a non original nut and both of them will also need to be replaced.

It would seem that the little cog wheel that drives the adjustment 'rack' is machine pressed onto the shaft of the screw to prevent it coming off and there is a tiny fixed key (like a woodruff key) to stop it turning on the shaft. As stated, the cog has broken off the screw. The end of the rack is also damaged but still usable. There seems to be no simple way to effect a repair but a replacement end plate seems like overkill.

GOOD IDEA. I have some and thought about doing it when I was tinkering with it this afternoon but the cog hasn't just come off, it's cracked and splayed open. I squeezed it back into shape and re positioned the parts but that's about as far as I got before getting distracted looking for my 'Lumiweld'. I thought a safer repair would be with a gas pencil torch and some low temperature aluminium welding that also does pot metal... but do you think I can find the stuff?. I sometimes think there are evil spirits living in the darker recesses of my garage which conspire to make my life more difficult than it needs to be.

I do, however, realise that I am very fortunate to be living here and now. Another day tomorrow.

Silver solder it back on the shaft.

It's aluminium, otherwise I would thanks.

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4dd8d9fb/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

• 2 weeks later...

Job Done! It has taken a while but I made up a clamp and screw in Brass and also made a 15mm 11 teeth spur gear which I have fixed on the end of the adjuster screw - it meshes with the third brush holder now.

Tomorrow I will reunite the generator with the car and then adjust the output for "summer" charge.

Then it's Vroom Vroom Vroom !!. About time I gave the Villagers something to talk about!

Ray.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/66cc1b69/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>