This is on a Desoto Forum

countrytravler

• 4 weeks later...

Dave,

About twenty years ago I vacationed in Turkey. The Desoto brand was still used on some trucks. Although they did not look familiar there were lots of them branded Desoto.

They also used old Desoto sedans for taxi cabs. They looked like 46-48 Desoto's that we are familiar with. I never got a chance to look any of this stuff over, but I suspect that the Desoto taxis would remind us of something we would see in Cuba.

Anyway, maybe that woody has some European roots.

Here is a picture that I took and hangs on my office wall, It is in Istanbul. That is the  Ayasophia   in the back ground. Sorry that it didn't scan very well.

Enjoy

post-95665-0-50202600-1431875635_thumb.j

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

DeSoto Trucks were built by Chrysler at the Warren Truck plant for various export markets starting in 1939.  They were basically Dodge Trucks with different nameplates.  Model numbers were similar to Dodge but used the letter "S".  The 1950 Dodge Truck ½-ton was model B-2-B, while the DeSoto ½-ton was model S-2-B.    DeSoto trucks used Dodge Truck serial numbers so you cannot tell by the serial number which make it is. 

The Canadian plant started building DeSoto Trucks for export in 1948, again using Dodge Truck serial numbers, although Canadian Dodge Truck.

In the 1970's Mopar trucks had a plate attached the the door latch pillar with the names of the trucks in production - Plymouth, Dodge, Fargo and DeSoto.  When Chrysler sold off their various foreign companies in 1979-1981, the Turkish company was sold back to the group that started the firm including the right to use the DeSoto name in the Turkish market.

So, if this truck is a 1950 DeSoto, it is actually a 1950 Dodge.  Not sure of the source of the body as it probably was built by a local firm,  But any mechanical parts should be the same as a Dodge.   Just need to check the model number and convert it to Dodge by replacing the "S" with a "D".  That will simplify searching for any parts.