Trunk

sweetpotato

Anybody know where I can get trunk cardboard or even patterns for my 53 Special? Cars or Classic Buicks don't carry that one. If anyone has pictures that would help too. Do the side panels go all the way up to the top of the fender? With my wife sewing and me kibitzing I think we can do this but pictures or patterns would be a big help. Thanks, Bob

Try this guy and tell him I suggested you call him. I have bought several trunk cardboard sets for 1950s and 1960s Buicks from him, and been satisfied with the product.

Thanks Pete, I talked to Chad and he hasn't come up with a pattern for the 53 Special yet but he does have the 54 Special. He suggested I ask you if you think it would work. He also has the 53 Super 2DR. What do you think? Bob

I have the original trunk cardboard set in my 53 Special 45R. I will send some photos to help guide you. They are no longer flat so making a pattern will be difficult. I restored the trunk of a 1948 46S sedanette by making patterns from large pieces of cardboard from shipping box from refrigerator or other large appliance. I bought the finish cardboard from Restoration Specialties as they have a selection of colors. They call the product "Cowl Board" and is does make a nice looking trunk lining. The side panels go all the way up to the inside of the fender top.

Send me a PM and I will send you a few photos or I will try to post them here.

Joe, BCA 33493

Disregard, in the third photo, the top object attached to the back shelf at the rear speaker opening as this was not original to the car. The black retainer just below the top object may be an original retainer for the back cardboard panel but I am not sure.

The top object is the winding from a 12 volt relay that was modified so that when the brake lights go on, the winding creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field closes a burglar alarm door switch that completes the circuit for a battery powered high brake light using 2 "AA" cells. When showing the car I simply remove the high brake light and there are no wire or holes drilled to activate it. If the judges don't look inside the trunk too carefully and peer under the back shelf they will never see it. I just could not bring myself to drill a hole and run a wire up for a high brake light. I am working on an article for The Bugle to explain how it works and goes together.

Joe, BCA 33493

Thanks for all that Joe. It looks like I will have to make these and those pictures will be a big help. I'm thinking I will use cardboard for a trial and error template and when I get it like I want it, transfer it to very thin plywood which Home Depot sells (less than 1/8 inch). I can cover that with a vinyl. Won't be original but should be fine for a driver. Bob

I will look into Fusick. That plywood just appeared recently at our Home Depot. It is very flexible. Says "made in China" stamped on it. Go figure.

Got the windshield in today with another 75 year old geezer (like me) helping. I used 3m windshield stuff on the outside of the pinch weld and decided that was not so good an idea because it sets up so fast it limits the movement of the unit as you are trying to get it in just the right place. But with much soapy water and choice words we wrassled it into place.