Interior door handle light bulbs

Cargirl

Since there are several thread about light bulbs, why not start one more. What is the light bulb number for the interior door handle for a 1991? Can you get to it by simply removing the plastic tub or do you need to remove the door panel? Thanks!

I think she is referring to the "theatre lighting" that illuminates the seat and window controls on the interior door panel. This bulb is in a socket that is clipped to the inside of the door panel just above the interior door opener handle. It is accessible by removing the black plastic trim cup around the handle but is a bit awkward to get at.

I can't think of the bulb number now, it is a micro wedge base (like a 194 bulb but only about 3/16" diameter). Most major auto parts stores stock them, though there may be a couple of variations for different brightness.

KDirk

The '91's did not have an outside keyhole light, although there is one in my '91 Eldorado. Yes KD, that is the light bulb I am looking for. I will pull it out later and see what number is on it since door panel removal is not necessary. Thank goodness, I am tired of taking those door panels off.

Interesting that your 91 Eldo has the halo lights. I suppose they left them on since the Eldorado got a major redesign in 1992, and they opted to make the 91 with minimal changes from 90. I had been of the belief that all models eliminated the halo lighting at the end of 1990 production. Yours would be the first instance of a 1991 car that I've heard having them. I know the Deville, Reatta and Toronado lost them after 1990.

KDirk

Ronnie-

That is the correct size bulb. A 2721would work, though not sure what the original spec was. 2721 may be the same brightness, or could be more or less light output. I will say I found the theatre lighting to be rather inadequate on the 90/91 Reatta so perhaps a more powerful bulb (within reason) would be a good idea. My 95 Deville has a similar light and it is much better (brighter) .

A side note, when replacing this bulb a long tweezers or similar implement may be helpful in sliding it out of the socket. Just don't squeeze too hard and break the glass envelope in doing so.

KDirk

Guest my3buicks

you can actually buy tweezers that have rubber tip sleeves - I bought a pair when I changed out the first set of theater lighting bulbs in my white convertible - they work slick

Thanks for the advise guys! I replaced the bulb and now have theater lighting in both doors. I can't stand it when something does not work correctly in my cars. Just a little more advise to pass along for this thread for posterity. When replacing this light, make sure you stick a rag or something like it so if you drop the little bitty light bulb it does not disappear into the inside of the door. I speak from experience here. At a price of $6 for two blubs, your heart sinks when one disappears into the ether. Second, make sure you note where the clip is placed when you do this project. After I 'finished' I tested it and my tweeter was illuminated. The clip moved, Opps. I had to push the clip back a bit. Over all a pretty easy fix!

Just one more update. The theater lighting on a 1991 does not come on during the daytime. If you change these lights during daylight and close the door to make sure they come on, they will not. The circuit does not activate until the photo-electric eye determines it is night. The theater light circuit is activated when 1) the interior lights illuminate when you open the door and 2) when you close the door and 3) when the computer detects it is nighttime. How smart!