Anyone know how to rewind the electric window regulator spring ?

buick man

I found a good regulator for my 4-door Roady but the electric motor has been taken off. It was removed without the benefit of maintaining the tension on the large regulator/motor spring. In the Buick Body Service Manual it explains how one is to put the regulator into a bench vice, then drill a 1/4 inch hole through the regulator frame next to the spring but just missing the motor, then to insert a 3/16" bolt through it and hand tighten a nut on the other side. This is to keep the factory set windup tension on the large regulator spring so one can remove the electric motor for servicing.

So how does one pre "tension up" the regulator spring once the motor has been removed and the tension released before installing the motor? Also how much tension is involved. The manual says if the above procedure for securing the spring prior to motor removal is not followed, the spring could orbit your shop in a second.

Anyone ever accomplish this. Tried to find some regulator/motor rebuilders on hemmings but could not find anyone who deals with this situation.

Any help will be remembered.

I accidentally "unloaded" one on a 1969 Electra once. In our case we stood it on the ground and pushed down while a helper stuffed the predrilled hole when it was aligned. That was for a torsional spring. I'm not certain that's what yours has. As we were pushing to load the spring it became obvious how far we cold get it, and it was not that far.

It is my understanding that the drill hole and bolt is to prevent the arm from smacking you when the motor is removed. If your spring is detached from the assembly, then compare to one of the other ones on the car. I wish I had a loose one so I could help more. Pictures??

Willie

Thanks guys. The spring is set in a saddle within the regulator itself and stays in position but releases it's tension if not made static before the motor assembly is removed. I do know from past experience that the spring will recoil back hard as it implodes upon recoil immediately upon removal of the gear assembly from the regulator if not secured into position as I have done that myself once or twice way back when. I will try and post some photos of my regulator and photos from the shop manual. I do know it is under tension and just reinstalling the motor without re-tensioning the spring will be a task in futility as probably acts as a preloaded counter weight to the window itself and aids the reversible electric motor.

Edited by buick man (see edit history)