1956 Buick Century dashpot and mounting bracket

Beemon

My 56 Century was taken apart in the 80's by my uncle and I'm in the process of piecing it back together. I have all the original lines and fittings, but for the life of me I cannot find the dashpot or mounting bracket for the Rochester 4bbl Carb.

Can someone please post some dimensions for bolt holes and mounting hole/height sizes? I feel I might need to fabricate a new mounting bracket on this one since all the 56 Buicks I've found in the junk yards around here all have the 322 stripped clean out of them.

My other question: does anyone know of a reliable vendor for old dashpots or will I be able to walk into a Napa and pick up a basic GM dashpot?

Thanks in advance!

Here is a picture of the one on my 56. I may have a spare but cannot verify that today. It is roughly 2 1/2 inches long. I do not know the bolt dimensions. but you can probably figure that out based on your current manifold. As for the dash pot, it does look like a standard unit. I would recommend a good parts store.

post-31834-143143083004_thumb.jpg

I reread that this was a Century, just to make sure. FWIW, a two barrel has a different bracket than a four barrel.

He mentioned it was a 322 also. Probably never hear from him again. If so there is a dashpot bracket up for grabs...................Bob

No I'm still here! I don't post a lot, I read a lot and reading these forums have been indispensable with my restoration! That being said, I would love to take you up on that offer. I'm not an expert on the different models or years, but my Century came with a Rochester 4bbl carburetor, if that helps. I would love to take a bracket off your hands, Bhigdog.

Thank you I really appreciate the assistance. Putting this thing back together has been my hardest jigsaw puzzle.

As luck would have it I have a Carter carb. According to the book 56 322's used either a Carter or Rochester. It's my opinion that the manifold and dashpot location would be the same for either one. In any event my bracket looks exactly like the one pictured above but we don't know the make of the carb. If you wish to risk $6.00 I'll send the bracket to you. My guess it will fit fine but it's not my $6.00. If you wish to have the bracket PM me and we'll exchange info and payment method. PayPal works for me or you can send a check and I'll send the bracket. They can cross in the mail. Let me know either way.............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

• 1 month later...