Two 1988 Buick Reattas-one very early VIN-and they are free!

tbenvie

Posted this on the Reatta Buy/Sell page, but no interest yet. For pictures click on this link:

http://forums.aaca.org/f200/very-early-vin-88-reatta-wont-391436.html

You won't find a better deal, and here it is:

I have bought and sold well over 50 Reattas since 1988. All my 4 kids and 12 nieces and nephews had Reattas as their first car, then I would get them back when they outgrew them. Reattas have been very good to me and my family, and the compliments I would get on the cars just confirmed my belief on why I had them. I especially enjoyed the convertibles and never did experience any cowl shake or rough ride. However, I am now 62 and took an early retirement due to arthritis and tough to bend and walk around. At 6'3 and 300 pounds I can no longer get in and out of the Reattas so started to sell them last year. I have two left, both 88s. Both cars are red/tan with 16 way seats. The first my oldest was driving until he had a blowout which ripped the fender and rocker apart. The ignition mechanism also broke and I replaced the steering column, breaking the horn while I was at it. I used parts from the second car to fix this one., The fender is red, but very faded compared to the rest of the car. The seats are excellent. Everything works. He drove it for over a year I think without any other problem. The second one I gave to my niece in 2001 and then her two sisters drove it. I gave it to a friend of mine a few years ago for his daughter but the windshield cracked and he never found another so it sat. I got it back to fix the first car, plus I needed a door to fix a blue 90 I sold. But this is a real early production car, and as I mentioned in another post on early cars there is probably about 20 early cars left, if that. I'd really hate to see this go. So because the Reattas have been so good to me, here is what I will do: I will GIVE these two Reattas away to whomever will keep #280 from being parted out and will repair it. At the very least, everything needed is on the other car, but at the most, not much is needed. But you have to save this car. No saying "It needed to much" or "I couldn't afford it" or any foolishness like that. Plain and simple, I will give them both to you-and you can drive the other once you fix he horn-but you have to restore #280 no question. The whole Reatta community will be watching you. so it will be your honor and integrity on the line.

So the good: the left fender, door, decklid, quarters, taillight, hood, roof, headlight assy marker light, front and rear bumper are all good. the right door I removed yesterday so the car is not out in the weather long. I kept the right doors speaker, vent window, mirror. door panel. The right rocker and fender are destroyed. I put the fender on the car to connect the hood to the hinge. The interior of #280 isn't bad. there is fading, but there is no damage to the doorpanels or center armrest. the rear panels etc are okay as is the headliner. The touchscreen also worked last time the car had power. The steering column is out, the steering wheel is ripped. All four wheels are good, hubcaps are there but some are just okay. I don't remember if the headlight motors were rebuilt on #280, but they were just done last fall on the other one.

When I restored the AMXs i would take every nut and bold off of them and repaint the entire car to include underneath-I was doing this in the late 70s long before most other muscle car restorers did it. One great thing at that time looking back was the availability of parts and resources because the cars weren't that old. they also shared a lot of parts with the Javelin, and mechanical parts with a lot of other models. The same is true of the Reatta. The $100 AMX I used to but are now $5-10K and the restored ones are easily $50K plus. I personally think the Reatta also has a future in the collectible world and premium prices will be paid for the right car in the future. "One of the first" and "One of the last" are always a good bet.

Spring is here and I can't hold onto the cars. The quicker they go the better. You can email me at tbenvie@comcast.net if interested.