I love polished engine components! Non original car!

R W Burgess

Any different than this car here. They are both as they call them[ATTACH=CONFIG]305810[/ATTACH] in the art world either a FAKE or FORGERY. These are better names than clone, tribute, after market, reproduction or what ever name you want to call them. I also see people calling them a work of art but I have never seen a forgery or fake being in an art gallery being referred to as a master piece as these two are. In 10 years from now to me (sorry for being so brutal ) they will have the same value as my Buick $150. a ton.

In any case I have a glass radiator ornament I can sell you. The signature does not have the initial R in front and the experts call it a knockoff with no real value so what is the difference?????

OK will use FORGERY instead of clone. Forgery does have a ring to it.....like someone should be going to prison.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

Wayne, I found a working link when I logged on through Google Chrome. WOW! What a work of art, glad to see people can still trun out a final product like that. Samuel, Welcome to the AACA, not everyone here has a closed mind, I for one look forward to seeing more of your hobby coverage. Bob

Wayne, I found a working link when I logged on through Google Chrome. WOW! What a work of art, glad to see people can still trun out a final product like that. Samuel, Welcome to the AACA, not everyone here has a closed mind, I for one look forward to seeing more of your hobby coverage. Bob

OK, since this is a AACA site lets ask Wayne if the car in question could be on a AACA show field to be judged ? If it does not belong, does that mean AACA members are closed minded?

There were special fabrics made for car bodies. Tolle Souple, Rexine, Fabrikoid were some of the brands. Today you would use some type of vinyl top material.

Being a British car, it probably would have been Rexine. In the US, Weymann used 'Zapon'; made by DuPont.

Craig

OK, since this is a AACA site lets ask Wayne if the car in question could be on a AACA show field to be judged ? If it does not belong, does that mean AACA members are closed minded?

Is this a trick question helfen?

I have only seen or heard of one car, or group of cars, not allowed on a show field, and that was cars perceived to be in a new judging class "37". Look it up.

I am not the VP of Class Judging, but common sense would suggest that once on a show field, it would be up to the owner to provide documentation that, in fact, his car is authentic. If he could not prove that, then his vehicle would get deductions, and probably not win an award.

The greater question is why would anyone waste their time and money to enter a vehicle in a meet when they know that they have no chance of winning an award. After all, the whole point is to win, not lose at a meet.

Wayne

Well, as has been pointed out by the OP, the Bentley isn't really a replica in the sense that it is not accurate. The Auburn has been done to exacting detail.

As for the whole point of entering a vehicle in a show, I disagree with Wayne. Many people enter a car in a show without the intent of winning an award.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

None the less it's a beautiful design. I would have thought that since they obviously spent a small fortune on the body they would have also tried to make the running gear and chassis as correct as possible.

Absolutely. The quality is there but if I had commissioned a re creation of this famous Bentley - one that every connoisseur would want to examine - I should want it to be authentic in every detail. I am still not clear that a "re creation" is the same as a "replica". My thinking is that most replicas are copies of famed cars but they are usually based on the chassis and running gear of the factory offering at the time; whereas a re creation is an entirely new construct.

All this navel gazing is probably a bit too British for many I expect, but if it sheds some light in the darkness.....

Ray.

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4dd8d9fb/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4dd8d9fb/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Is this a trick question helfen?

I have only seen or heard of one car, or group of cars, not allowed on a show field, and that was cars perceived to be in a new judging class "37". Look it up.

I am not the VP of Class Judging, but common sense would suggest that once on a show field, it would be up to the owner to provide documentation that, in fact, his car is authentic. If he could not prove that, then his vehicle would get deductions, and probably not win an award.

The greater question is why would anyone waste their time and money to enter a vehicle in a meet when they know that they have no chance of winning an award. After all, the whole point is to win, not lose at a meet.

Wayne

Certainly not. Before you know it someone will be posting cars from Steven Moal Coachbuilders. Some pretty nice hand built cars, but do you want them here on the site or coming to a event?

I get the impression that replicas are becoming more acceptable to clubs. The Jaguar Drivers Club (U.K.) for example, has a section in their magazine Jaguar Driver for replicas alongside the more traditional models and I don't hear howls of objection coming from other members. Perhaps the reason why replicas are being taken more seriously is because build standards are higher now. A neighbour of mine has built a replica D Type which is frankly fabulous. An original would fetch several millions £$.

Thinking back to when the Le Mans winner Duncan Hamilton used to sell replica D types from a premises across the road from me in Bagshot village; he would tell his customers that there was no difference from the Jaguar factory cars - and they believed him!!! :D

Ray.<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4dd8d9fb/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>