Door Locks

Mr. Anderson

Today as I was reassembling the right door on my 91, I noticed that the door lock on the passenger side would not move when the switch was energized. So, I took everything back apart and checked everything to see what was wrong. I found that the door lock mechanism was not working, and I unhooked it and tested it at the battery by jumping 12 volts directly to it, only to find that it was indeed working. :mad:

So now I have a sudden wiring issue that was not present before I first took the door panel off. I was able to check that only one of the two wires going to the switch had power to it. What, or where should I check at this point?

Make sure the manual lock actuator (chrome slider) on the interior door panel is aligned to the metal rod on the pivot point. If it isn't sometimes it will impede the up/down movement of the power lock.

I'm fairy certain also that the power lock actuator has a PTC (thermal circuit breaker) as does the power window motor. An overload will cause it to open, resulting in inop condition until it cools off and resets.

KDirk

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so an update is due after a few weeks of piddling with the 91. Sorry for the delay, college was killing me this semester.

So, long story short, I got it all fixed. I had traced the problem to the splices under the driver's seat. I had redone the problem splice before, but I must've not crimped it all the way, so it was able to slip out and not make a good connection. After I redid the spice, everything went to working, but for some reason, the passenger door lock motor would work in reverse from the driver door lock motor. I.e. when the driver's side said lock, the passenger's side said unlock. It had never done that before, and I hadn't changed anything there.

I was able to quick fix this problem by switching the wires that went to the plug, and that took care of the issue. This is probably not the best idea, but it is only temporary until I can figure out why it did that. On the bright side, I got the chance to lube up everything inside that door, and everything is working great now! All I have to do now is put it all back together! :P