Edelbrock 1406 61 Caddy, stumped on linkage

Guest Aaronl828

Guest Aaronl828

Hi guys I am working on a 61 cadillac with a 390 V8, and I'm having an issue with the edelbrock carb I've just installed in place of the old rochester. I'm having trouble with the linkage. Basically the butterfly flap doesn't open or close with the throttle cable, so something is disconnected, I don't know what I've done wrong. I have a video but it won't seem to let me post. Can anyone tell me what I've done wrong?

I will host the images and post them

Guest Bob Call

I viewed your video. I believe that what you refer to as the "butterfly flap" is actually the choke. It is not controlled by the throttle cable. It is controlled by a bi-metal spring that responds to ambient temperature and exhaust heat.

It's to late now, but, if it had been me I would have had the Rochester rebuilt by someone like Carb King. A rebuild would have been a little cheaper than a new Edlebrock.

Guest Aaronl828

Thanks for the feedback Bob, it's not my car or I would have sent the rochester out for a factory rebuild. The carb has been rebuilt at home with just a kit several times and is either beyond hope, or more likely really just needs a factory rebuild. I'm not sure, I honestly am not terribly familiar with carbureted cars. Either way, the choke isn't supposed to just move freely like that right? As the car sits, when I start it it wants to go full throttle no matter where the fuel mixture or idle screws are adjusted

There should be a small link between the choke mechanism and the "fast idle cam" nearby. There should also be a speed adjusting screw which contacts that cam. The choke valve should not "flap", but be somewhat firmly-controlled by the thermostatic spring, mentioned. At ambient temp 70 degrees F, the choke thermostat should cause the choke valve to "just close". IF the engine starts with the valve closed, as if the valve is not closed, you depress the throttle pedal and the choke valve closes, as soon as the engine starts, the "choke pull-off" should open the valve enough to keep the engine from being too rich and not wanting to continue running. After that initial start-up, if you depress the throttle a little, the fast idle cam should "move" to a lower rpm setting as the engine continues to warm up.

One thing "wrong" is the throttle return spring that's all stretched out. It needs to be "more coils touching" when at base idle, rather than what you now have. Possibly the fast idle cam is stuck on the top step? Possibly the link that connects the choke coil to the choke butterfly is disengaged, letting the butterfly valve move as freely as it does (unrestrained)? Might check for interference between the carb and the intake manifold/gasket?

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467