Stone chipped wind shield

Bhigdog

post-33891-143143077572_thumb.jpgBob, I used one of these decades ago and was very pleased with the results, got rid of 95% of my chip/star. On the same note I just noticed a 1/2 inch long edge crack in my early Warner Lenz for my Maxwell headlight lense and wondered if anyone knows if the modern over the counter kit or even a professional service could prolong the death of this rare lense?

Howard Dennis

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

I picked up a stone chip with a 1/2" crack radiating from one side of the chip. Has anyone had any luck, or not, with DIY chip repair kits?......................Bob

If you have insurance, it would be better to replace it than repair.

Your insurance company will try and get you to repair it, but they will replace it if you demand it.

Why settle for a 90% repair when you can have new?

Bob,

I've had relatively good luck with repairs to windshields - mostly in my Suburban tow vehicle. None are directly in my field of vision, but the original windshield in the Chevy, purchased new in November of 2001 now has about nine or ten repairs, all done by Safe-lite. The cost is moderate, and while I asked about replacing the windshield prior to the last repair to three spots, the receptionist (whom I've known for at least 27 years) said "sure if you really want it, but you'll probably just get another chip in a couple of weeks, what with all the traveling you do".

None of the repairs has ever spread beyond the original area, but one minor "stone hit" which happened to my Excursion during a drive from a Meet in Moline to a Meet in Cheyenne resulted in leaving the tow vehicle at the Denver airport for a week (or three?). When I returned, the damage had spread completely across the windshield, necessitating replacement.

I would certainly feel differently about a show car, but a tour/driver could live with repairs, and for the few bucks difference, I would let the "pro" handle it, especially the pre-heating and sealing process.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Thanks Marty. That was way good info. I checked with Safe-Lite and it turns out they will come to me to effect the repair, they coordinated with my insurance co. (Erie) and did all the paper work, and since it's a repair there is no charge...........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone
Bob,

I've had relatively good luck with repairs to windshields - mostly in my Suburban tow vehicle. None are directly in my field of vision, but the original windshield in the Chevy, purchased new in November of 2001 now has about nine or ten repairs, all done by Safe-lite. The cost is moderate, and while I asked about replacing the windshield prior to the last repair to three spots, the receptionist (whom I've known for at least 27 years) said "sure if you really want it, but you'll probably just get another chip in a couple of weeks, what with all the traveling you do".

None of the repairs has ever spread beyond the original area, but one minor "stone hit" which happened to my Excursion during a drive from a Meet in Moline to a Meet in Cheyenne resulted in leaving the tow vehicle at the Denver airport for a week (or three?). When I returned, the damage had spread completely across the windshield, necessitating replacement.

I would certainly feel differently about a show car, but a tour/driver could live with repairs, and for the few bucks difference, I would let the "pro" handle it, especially the pre-heating and sealing process.

Good luck whichever way you go.

With all those claims your premiums must be outrageous ! Wayne