1929 chevrolet rear axle

Phillip Robinson

1929 chevrolet tourer. I have pulled out the rear axle and now putting the inner rubber? (

Hard) gasket in (to stop the oil from coming out to the brakes) and put this inside its own cup holder prior topressing it back in. The question is whether to put some grease in this rubber seal(it also has the circular spring inside this rubber seal) . I am thinking that if I do not the gasket could get hot and not perform for too long ( no oil , no grease).

Having experienced this problem for myself, I think I can speak to this with some authority. You are replacing the original inner leather axle seal with a modern lip seal because lube from the differential is making its way past the seal, through the axle bearing, and running down into the emergency brake shoes, soiling the inside of the brake drum, and eventually out and around onto the service brake bands. You probably experience uneven braking, locking up wheels, and braking noises. Not to mention trails of oil running down the inside of your steel wheel. No fun!

To answer your question, yes. I would lubricate the seal before installing the axle. Once in place, the lube from the differential will find its way up to the seal and keep it wet as you already know. Be very careful installing the axle so as not to damage the seal. Don't put the weight of the axle on the seal surface at any time when sliding it in. Also, check the axle for burrs where it may have previously been held in a vise to change the bearing. File any sharp spots down flat or you could nick the seal. Hopefully your axle isn't too pitted where the seal runs.

I have had mixed results replacing the inner axle seal. I have done four of them now and 1 actually worked. In my experience, it's better to install a new sealed axle bearing and coat the outside diameter of the bearing with RTV sealant before sliding the axle back in. Other sealants just make it harder to extract the axle next time.

Best Wishes & Good Luck!

The new seals replace the leather gasket. They sit in a cup which seals against the diff wall. In this case, because the car has not done many miles since new axles and bearings were put in, I am only replacing the seals. Thanks for the help. Phil. There is another problem. Where the cup rests against the wall there is a hole for the grease to come through. The grease has to squeeze between to get to the bearing. Question_ should I put sealant on the outside of the cup(against the wall) and again sealant on the outside of the new rubber seal(with the lip). Thanks