1958 Buick rear propeller shaft----leaking

David Childs

Greetings to all: recently I replaced the gas tank sendinng unit of my 1958 Super. While working under the car I noticed two things never noticed before--1. the rear propeller shaft has a lubrication plug and 2. the rear propeller shaft is leaking thick black oil from the joints in the shaft. The lubrication chart states to basically top off the rear propeller shaft and replace the plug. What I can't figure out is how the popeller shaft is leaking and what seals might need replacing to stop the leaking. After noticing the leaking issue, I removed the differential plug and the same black thick oil began to pour out. I had filled the differential with fresh oil about 3 years ago when I got the Buick on the road again. I am wondering if oil can pass forward from the differential into the rear propeller shaft. I'd like to remove the entire shaft and replace all the seals if they can be found. Please send me your comments and suggestions. At this point I do not have photos to attach because this project has not begun yet. I am posting my latest project, which is restoration of the floorboards before new carpeting is installed. I will gladly answer all your questions about the floorboard restoration project as well as your comments about the leaking rear propeller shaft. Looking fwd. to your ideas about the leaking.

post-55257-143143076816_thumb.jpg

post-55257-143143076822_thumb.jpg

post-55257-143143076827_thumb.jpg

post-55257-143143076832_thumb.jpg

post-55257-143143076837_thumb.jpg

post-55257-143143076841_thumb.jpg

Yes, it can leak grease into the torque tube from the differential, via a leaky pinion seal around the area where the driveshaft goes into the front of the differential. You don't notice it on a torque tube car until the torque tube partially fills with grease from the rear end and then leaks out onto the ground. New pinion shaft seal should be easy to find (Napa might have it), but it will be a lot of work to install.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

1958 model 49D

1958 model 43 (parts car)

and other Buicks

Leave it alone if it's not leaking too badly….

Drive the car more and it will probably diminish.

Topping off fluid once in a while is a far better option than removing

a torque tube drive line….. replacing all the seals, gaskets, and soft parts…. only

to find it leaks worse after all the aggravation...

my 2 cents

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/feecc95/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

The pinion seal on my '59 has been leaking oil into the torque tube for at least 10,000 miles. I top off the differential fluid once a year and it hasn't been an issue. Best part is it's not that messy of a leak. Most of it lands on the ground and not the underside of the car. :)

Once the torque ball and rear wheel seals start leaking as well, I may take it apart, but not until then. I guess it depends on what you expect. Mine is an all weather driver, so it's not as big of a deal as on a show car.