Wanted to buy: 810/812 Battery box cover

This cover is not a simple sheetmeat shop type of cover...the originals are die stamped and include a removable service port. Tom Cox could make one out of ABS...and is work is wonderful...but in this restoration only correct metal will do

Curti, at one time I think they were but I'm not sure how long ago that was and if supply has been exhausted. I was thinking of tooling up for some of those and making the radiator pipes out of stainless as all the chromed originals are getting rotten by now. They are pretty simple and we have a really good welding shop up the road from me. I even thought of doing the spark plug wire looms but I think there is debate over whether they are suppose to be chrome or painted. I took it from one who I would call an expert that restored 26 Cords that they should be chrome.

He was reproducing radiator tanks as well. I bought his last set. I wanted to buy the dies but he wasn't interested in selling them. I think it was so I wouldn't spend money having something made that didn't sell well after talking to him for a while. Really nice guy, who gifted me a great stock of cord what nots to restore my car.

My only input to that, is there are now restoration guidelines for accurately restoring 810-812's. It twas employed for judging 810-812's last year at Auburn. If I was reproducing a part I would do it the way the guide lines spell it out. If it was chrome from the factory, It should be chrome now. The bar has been raised.

Hi,

Doggone it, guys. Now you have my curiosity raised up, and I am compelled by forces unseen to go out to the myriad of parts boxes and see if I even have the battery box cover for 1590A. If not, I'll have to make one.

Oh well, it's a nice day for a parts search!

--Tom

• 2 weeks later...

From one of the parts vendors.....these were made by California Metal Shaping which in the last year or two went out of business and the assests were sold at auction.......somebody bought the tooling I'm told!...but who?