dynaflow question

sherwood3333

when putting trany back after rebuild I dident add any trans fluid to the torque converter, I have added trans fluid through the dipstick. question is how do I get fluid to the torque converter to make the trans work?:mad::confused:

The internal pumps would pick up the fluid and fill the torque converter when the engine starts.

Guest 53 Roady

It will take a lot to get close but once its close the dipstick lines are not in quarts like the engine. Go slow at this point. Don't drive it till you get it right. When I got the 53 it would not idle to check the fluid so we just drove it "as was" enough to get it on the truck and put away. I think we did serious damage because it was real low. The book will tell you the capacity but I think it's about 9 quarts.

Good luck

Pat

The front pump MUST prime and PUMP the fluid into the converter. If it has run dry for 35 minutes without priming, it may never prime and may have already damaged the front pump. I suppose you could drop the pan and remove the pickup to check any sealing issues.

Personally, I would contact rebuilder and see if he wants it back. He should have packed the pumps with petroleum jelly when he assembled it to ensure it would prime itself. If the pump ran without prime (dry) for that long, it is probably already galled up and failed. Just my opinion.