What to watch out for in a post war Buick

buicknewbee

I have always liked the lines and style that a 57 Chevrolet convertible has but they just seem to be more and more non-obtainable. I have given some thought to adding a post war Buick convertible next to my 57 Special. The problem is, It's not every day that you see post war Buicks to observe them and notice details that are important when buying one like the 57 Chevrolet. The Chevrolets are all over the place, not to mention just about any book and part is available to help you to decide which model and state of repair would be best for you.

Although I'm certain I don't want a project car, I still would like to be advised of certain problem areas and traits to look for in a post war Buick. I'm also certain that this group will do just about anything to keep me from purchasing a Chevrolet, which is just about considered as a four letter word here I'm sure.

So what I'm thinking about are the fire ball eight years after 1946 to 1952. While the convertibles are still expensive I think they aren't quite as sought after as the 50s convertibles, and I have seen a few that aren't restored (which isn't what I'm after in the first place) for 30-40k. I'm looking for a car that is roadworthy and would make it to a show without having to worry about being stranded. Now I know anything can happen with an old car.

I am certain that I want a solid car and nothing that looks like it is full of filler, and I feel confident that I can spot that out, but what other types of things should I look for? What typically goes wrong with this era? What about parts? Are there parts that just don't exists if they aren't bought with the car? If the motor isn't rebuilt, what typical problems do they have? Are there certain things mechanically that aren't factory, but add value because of a known factory defect (such as a better oil pump)?

I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Darren

Hey there Darren, just wanted to chime in on your request although I have no personal experience with the era Buick you mention (46 - 52). It's a wide range of years, where there were many changes, some subtle some not so subtle. The straight eight guys would know better but at some point there was a switch from poured Babbitt bearings to bearing inserts. I think you want to be on the bearing insert side of that split. Also it seems that the intakes on the straight eight is prone to cracking, although I do not know if that is just for older cars than you are looking for.

Baring any other ideas from the folks here, I would suggest looking at the major parts suppliers ( Bob's, CARs, and others ) to see what parts are being recreated vs used parts being marketed. The parts that are re-pop'd are in sufficient demand, and would show you what you need to be on the watch for.

Also from what I've learned from others, you want to be sure that whatever vehicle you get is as complete as possible, cause trim items are not so plentiful.

Secondarily, I don't think it's correct to say that we would try to talk anyone out of purchasing any other brand of vintage vehicle they prefer. I'm pretty sure the folks on this board mostly feel that it's what the user wants vs trying to bend someone to some brand they might eventually find dissatisfaction from.

Darren,

I agree with JD and will add that IMO, Buicks are generally undervalued in the collector car market. That makes them a better buy for someone who wants a comfortable original car with many of the options & extras that most everyday Fords and Chevys didn't offer at the time. Again, IMO, the collector car market has been driven more by cars like fords and Chevys that were less expensive (in the 50's & 60's) to modify into hot rods.

Darren,

I agree with Old Tank.

Since you are in NW Ohio, anything from Kansas City to NYC is a day or two's drive, either for a "look" or a "pick up".

However you may want to consider the relatively rust free offerings from the western states. Saves a lot of wire brush time underneath later on.

FIRST, decide what is your MOST FAVORITE car, 'cause working on something you don't like is "work".

THEN, pick one that in the state of disrepair, that you can handle. Either with the tools you have or the size wallet you have.

Check out www.carsonline.com just for fun, as when these offerings sell, the price is posted, and it gives you an idea where the market is.

My $ .02 and worth every cent...........

Mike in snowey Colorado, where we just got 3 ft on the deck.

I have found that parts support is very good as well as support on this site. When I researched a 50's era car to purchase my first order of business was parts and forum support similar to what you have started here. As far as Buicks, I can say that not many appear at local shows in my neck of the woods. As such, this draws a crowd and onlookers. I do not have a straight 8 in my 54. She runs the 264 V8 and has been very reliable. You will find similarity in the designs between Chevy and Buick. You will find some major differences as well. Dynaflow trans. Torque tube drive shafts, etc.

Chevrolet is not a four letter word here. It is still nine and I would like to have a 57 in my barn. ;)

Darren, all of these guys are smart. I would have said the same things if I had seen this earlier. I guess that makes me smart too...

I'm not going to talk you out of a 57 Chevy, but comparing them to a 49 Buick convertible seems kinda weird to me. Not being a Buick homer here, they are different sexy. They are different driving. Definitely look around and decide what you get all hot and bothered for. The mechanics of the deal are secondary.

I concur with Chris, in my 13 years of fixing up my Buick I have never run into a problem finding parts. I have used Chevy suppliers to fit and retrofit some things for unnoticeable or "not-important-for-correctness-to-me" areas of my '53.

46-52. Smart choice to cut it off just before '53. I really love almost everything about a '53 but that hood is the bane of my existence. With those years you will still be in the straight-8, 6 volt era which I think they had pretty much perfected by '52. In your year range, I personally like the 49's and I think you would have a good chance of finding one.

I totally agree with Mike in Colorado about the approach. Pick one that is your favorite and then decide on what either your hands/tools or your wallet can handle.

and I second what Mike in TX says too.

The straight eight guys would know better but at some point there was a switch from poured Babbitt bearings to bearing inserts. I think you want to be on the bearing insert side of that split. Also it seems that the intakes on the straight eight is prone to cracking, although I do not know if that is just for older cars than you are looking for.

Great tips I wasn't aware of. I read where the bearings were changed mid year in 1949. The 1948 engines were first married to the Dynaflow also. I think I'd prefer the Dynaflow over a three on the tree. I may have narrowed my search a little.

Alway buy the best example you can find. You can never bring a lesser and cheaper car up to that level for the same money.

One of my favorite Willieism's!!! Listen to him!!!

Secondarily, I don't think it's correct to say that we would try to talk anyone out of purchasing any other brand of vintage vehicle they prefer. I'm pretty sure the folks on this board mostly feel that it's what the user wants vs trying to bend someone to some brand they might eventually find dissatisfaction from.

Really? I guess I must be the odd ball here then. Buy a Buick, you get twice the car for half the money, and it comes with a Bow Tie in the rear view mirror. ;)

Chevrolet is not a four letter word here. It is still nine and I would like to have a 57 in my barn. ;)

Already had my 57 Chevy.... back in '66-67 and she was hot. Met and fell in love with a 54 Buick Special 2 dr sedan in '72 and never looked at a Chevy again.

Hey Will,

Say hi to Lamar for me.

I missed him when we came thru this march.

Will try to hook up with him in October.

Mike in snowy Colorado

Sounds like party time to me.

Buicknube, if I can help you into a beautiful '54 just let me know.

Alway buy the best example you can find. You can never bring a lesser and cheaper car up to that level for the same money.

Been there, done that. You'll also be driving and enjoying it rather than working on it and getting frustrated.