1915 Buda V8 in 1916 Pilot V8???

Bud Tierney

Various early 1915 trade magazines carried the 1915 introduction of the Buda V8 3x51/8...

John Gunnells Std Cat V8s lists the 1916 Pilot as having a 3x51/8 V8, an unusual b/s...

There isn't enough desc in the Std Cat to really compare with original announcements, altho the Pilot was water pumped while the original Buda was TS...

Std Cat US Cars says most Pilot engines were Teetors...

Did Teetor build a V8?? I've not made up a Teetor list as very few listings...or was this possibly the Buda with a water pump added??

Any illumination appreciated!! Many thxx!! Bud

Hi Bud , I am fairly sure Teetor did not make a V8. Please go ahead and develop a Teetor list. I think either Teetor or Perfect circle made one up years ago to use for advertising. My 1912 Staver Chicago uses a Teetor Hartley monoblock T head 4 cyl.

Greg in Canada

VC: Many thxx for quick reply...

Yes, quite true, except for one model in 1916...

Std Cat US Cars shows one 8 cyl model 8-55, 55HP, in 1916, as related in the text thumbnail therein that the V8 only lasted that year...that much, at least, matches the one 1916 Pilot V8 in Gunnells Std Cat US V8s...but neither disclosed the m'f'r of the V8...

The few of my engine parts catalogs that list Pilot agree they used Teetors approx 1916 to 20/21 with Hershell-Spillmans from 20/21 to dissolution, all 4s or 6s (altho a Rutenber 6 shows up, supposedly 1917-21 in the 6-45, perhaps an option)...

I'm personally inclined to think the Buda V8 just didn't sell or wasn't enthusiastically pushed, and may've been allowed a quiet demise...

Buda's were, for some reason, big in taxicabs; seems like there's a taxi site or group I can try...

Guest cben09

Pilot is so rare,,,this may be of interest

U/tube search,""1913 Pilot"" short vid ofmy

7 pass touring B-S=4''x6''

Cheers,,Ben

I spoke too soon on "...no Buda 8 before 1930..."...upon review of 1917 ring catalog do find I'd missed the Buda DE, DEU 8 cyl, which a 1916 Horseless Carriage squib IDs as the V8...

That 1917 catalog listing is the only one for any Buda 8 in my handful of 1930 and prior parts catalogs...

Buda used that terminology repeatedly, (DE, DEU); I've not found anything specifically on the point, but most often mentioned opinion is that meant open or enclosed flywheels, but not which was which......

Guest Xprefix28truck

Teetor never did build a V8. Only 4 cylinders and 6 cylinders. Eugene LaChapels 1917 Pilot has an "L" head 6 in it.

1916 was a one year only for the V8.

Edited by Xprefix28truck (see edit history)