Value of 1933 Dodge Rumble seat 5 window coupe?

Clipper47

Hi, I am looking at a very nice 1933 Dodge 6 5 window rumble seat coupe. The car was restored about 10 years ago and remains in a high #3 condition. It has an overdrive? Very nice car priced at $35000 ($28700US) . I am interested but cant find much on the price guides. Is this price in the ball park for value. I am not looking to buy and flip etc. and would consider buying the car for the long haul so paying fair or even above market wouldn't bother me but don't know whether this asking is reasonable or not. Opinions appreciated. Thanks

[TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: img-wrap][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1933 Dodge DP Six

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2 Door Coupe

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] Research another classic car[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

ValuesSpecial Notes

Values

Values

vdp-email-icon.gif vdp-print-icon.gif gplus-32.png FB-Footer-Icon.gif

[TABLE=class: tbl-pricing used-pricing]

<tbody>[TR]

[TH][/TH]

[TH=class: help]Original

MSRP[/TH]

[TH=class: help]Low

Retail[/TH]

[TH=class: help]Average

Retail[/TH]

[TH=class: help]High

Retail[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Base Price[/TD]

[TD]$640[/TD]

[TD]$7,225[/TD]

[TD]$11,650[/TD]

[TD]$16,700[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: tbl-pricing-total]

[TD]TOTAL PRICE:[/TD]

[TD]$640[/TD]

[TD]$7,225[/TD]

[TD]$11,650[/TD]

[TD]$16,700[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Search Local Cars for Sale

<form id="frmPartner812" action="/Page/External" target="_blank"> Find 1933 Dodge DP Six listings near you

Powered by

AutoTrader Classics

</form>

<form id="frmPartner812" action="/Page/External" target="_blank">

</form>

2-Door-Coupe&vis=1

Edited by RickBrinker (see edit history)

Rick, Thanks. I did find that NADA listing but that High Retail seemed very low hence my question. A 1933 Ford coupe has a high value of $56600 and a 1933 Chevrolet coupe $21300. Why would a Dodge bring so much less. IMHO it is a much nice car than either of the other two? Still if this is all it should be worth on the market it appears to be over valued.

Thanks, I am aware that Ford had a V8 but that shouldn't account for a $40000 premium over a Dodge. I would take a Dodge 6 over a flat head Ford any day myself but I do see your point. I suspect that it is the rodders who have pushed the Ford prices high. There are so few unmodified 33 Ford coupes left and any that are are targets for rodders. In any event the seller is $12000 over the NADA guide so it is unlikely he will come down that far. It would be in my garage if he would.

I have a 1933 Dodge DP coupe (trunk model) in a #3 condition. I can't see me taking less for mine. Heck, it looks better than a '33 Ford and will run off and hide from the Ford yet won't bring near as much money.

When I located my Dodge I tried to bargain with the owner on the price. He said "Look son, I love this car. I would be happy to bring a lawn chair out to the garage and just stare at this car all day. If you want it, here is the price." After buying the car. I understand what he meant. Good luck with your purchase. Zeke

I understand exactly what zeke01 is saying. The first old car I fell in love with was a sweet little '33 Plymouth coupe. It was being rodded although not butchered - '61 dodge 361 V8 - and loved the look. If I had a chance to buy one now I'd likely spend too much ... just because... rare and gorgeous. Not trying to talk you into something you might regret financially BUT .... they are SOOOO nice :rolleyes:

I think the price is top dollar for that car, but I do agree the coupes are one sharp looking automobile. I am a Dodge guy and watch EBay all the time. The prices for these coupes seem to range between 18 and 35 grand (American dollars) depending on condition and location. If you're in for the long haul and enjoy working on your car as well as driving it, you may want to just spring for it and enjoy the ride. I found my first car (the actual car) after 43 years and bought it back. By the time it's restored, I'll have more in it than it will ever be worth, but I don't care - I'm enjoying every minute of having my 32 DL back - even if it is a sedan.

I'm not an expert on the 33 model - did they have overdrive as a factory option? You may want to check and see if it is the original motor and trans before you agree on a price. Some pictures would be nice - hint, hint.

Yes Sir, that is the car alright. The ad has been renewed so different photos. I have some very recent ones sent to me by owner today. I am not really impressed with those red heater hoses , stains on the engine head and block and incorrect clamps ? but that can be changed or fixed with little cost. Would leather interior have been standard or optional on these coupes? My impression is that the the car is presentable but could use some TLC in places. My old car knowledge is pretty limited on 1930's Dodges. Any items that look strange or incorrect welcomed. I might mention that I live about 1000 miles from where the car is located so would like some thoughts on condition and price before I go to the expense of going to look. $35K ($28k US)seems pretty high but maybe I am out of touch with reality. Thanks for posting!

Edited by Clipper47 (see edit history)

My interior is cloth. I don't know if leather was an option. My tail lights are different also. Might have been a midyear change. Otherwise it looks unmolested. Can you see yourself in the drivers seat? My car is no better than that and I wouldn't sell mine for that.

I'm not trying to talk you into the car but whenever I drive mine I cannot wipe the smile off of my face. Zeke

The point I have been trying to make is this: Unmodified 1933 Dodge coupes don't come along very often. If you really want one, how long are you willing to wait until another comes along more in line with what you want to pay? Remember, the car is remembered long after the purchase price is forgotten. This is a nice car. Zeke

The point I have been trying to make is this: Unmodified 1933 Dodge coupes don't come along very often. If you really want one, how long are you willing to wait until another comes along more in line with what you want to pay? Remember, the car is remembered long after the purchase price is forgotten. This is a nice car. Zeke

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has been forgotten. That coupe is extra nice, if you can afford it, just do it!

I have a 34 RS coupe that I enjoy very much. My car is an original. It has fabric seats not leather. I can't say I've ever seen leather on a coupe but they might have come that way. The 33 and 34's never came with O/D. They came with free wheeling. But the 37-38 Chrysler 6 cyl o/d trans can easily be adapted in and is a wonderful improvement. I put one in my car. I would check to see if the engine is the correct year for the car. Later engines look similar and bolt right in. The correct year of engine would matter to me if I was paying top dollar for the car. Looks like a really nice car.

Here's my 34.post-83955-143143077176_thumb.jpg Ken

In addition to KLF comments and from casual observation the horns may not be correct, the heater hose is not correctly hooked up at the bypass outlet and is the firewall and cowl supposed to be painted black?

Photos of the undercarriage would be helpful from the owner.

None of the above should be considered deal breakers but if authenticity is valued should be noted.

Why not contact the owner to see if a lower offer is acceptable - you never know.

The car looks great!

like Zeke ,if you see yourself in this car ,buy it, they don't come around to many times.

does owner have pictures of the restoration of car,?

I recently bought a 1930 DA sedan,

love the car,

problem was it look great on the outside, but once I got it on lift and took a very serious look at the underside, I discovered the car had never been taken off the chassis for restoration. It was a mess, only taken 6 months and a few thousand dollars to correct.

You may want to get a second appraisal from a independent inspector,

may any give you room to negotiate a better price.

Jesse

I really need to either see the car myself or have someone who knows what they are looking at. Pictures only go so far no matter how clear they are. I am a bit of a stickler for authenticity if paying top dollar for an antique car. An incorrect interior or non original engine is no big deal if looking for a driver to take to cruise night but the price of such a car should reflect that it is an incorrect or amateur restoration. The NADA guides are notoriously inaccurate but this car is priced far above the high retail value so I would expect an accurate restoration. I doubt anyone would pay the price for a real leather interior so it is probably synthetic material which is a turn off for me. This car was for sale in the past and didn't sell at the asking so either it is priced too high or there aren't many people left who want an original 1930's Dodge. This car is rare and I have been fond of early Chrysler products since I was a a kid growing up a mile away from the Chrysler plant in Windsor Ontario but I wil likely pass on this one unless the price is reduced by a significant amount IMO.

Looking at the engine, does it have a full water jacket or a partial water jacket? Full water jackets showed up about 1935 on most Chrysler products.

Regarding the leather?? interior: as I recall, the '33 Plymouth coupe I salivated over in the '60's had a tan leather interior and I doubt if the guy who was rodding it at the time had done anything to it. It was quite unfinished when I first saw it and the leather looked original. It would seem possible that Dodge would have had similar interior options. Any comments? I still love the car....

I took as close a look at the engine as I could. From the looks of the water pump, the engine may well be later than 1933. While the engines are similar, there are differences. Like you, I want my cars original. Is that important to you? Zeke

Zeke, It is important to me that a car be original in that it has a correct driveline and unaltered body. The owner of this car has advised me that the interior is vinyl so obviously incorrect. The engine and transmission are from a 1937 model. Neither of these are deal breakers for me since the car will never be at a judged AACA meet etc.. What is a deal breaker is that the car is priced at a level where I believe that a buyer would expect a correctly restored numbers matching car. Am I off base in thinking this car is overpriced and if so what would be a fair price given the non original alterations. The owner didn't know if the car was a frame off but my suspicions are it was not. There are two minor drips from the rear main seal and transmission which are probably just normal for cars of this vintage. I would still like to own it for cruise nights and local shows so I will keep pursuing it for now. BTW our sale tax in Ontario is 13% which adds a fair amount to the final price.

I, personally think that the price being asked is too high for a car with non-original engine and non-original style interior materials. I would take at least $10,000 off for those items being incorrect whether or not it will be shown in a competitive show.

Dave

you don't have to defend your position

you are correct $28000 U.S. Is high

for that price it should be correct

being owner doesn't know if car was frame off restored

is a Red flag to me

red flags and incorrect configuration of cars , cost money to straighten out

28000-interior-correct power train-frame condition-unknown =18000

add in you want it 20000 max

You got to separate the wants from the needs

Although the wrong material in the interior is irritating to me the engine is another matter. You can reupholster the seats ($$) but there will always be the matter of the engine being incorrect. If that fact doesn't bother you, ok. Were I in your position, I would take the opportunity to use it in price negotiations however. Zeke

I am still negotiating from long distance. The car will obviously take some very detailed and personal scrutiny. I have advised the owner of the incorrect and value deflating items. I think were I to buy it I would leave the engine and trans since overdrive is such a nice feature but would try to source correct fabric and redo the interior ($$$). To bring the asking price down to what is a more reasonable number will doubtlessly require negotiating skills beyond my capabilities but I will try. I would definitely buy the car at $20000 but that's a discount of $15000!! Not much hope for that. It is a gem that should be preserved and protected so we will see. Thanks to all for the advice and encouragment

I agree.

An offer of $17-20k is in line with reality however I doubt the seller is willing to come down that much. Sounds like he has his price and if he isn't willing to negotiate in reality then I'd wash my hands of it and move on if I were you. It is a beautiful car but all of the comments about originality are true and does take away from the value of it for a purist who wants to own something original.

If you really want the car and just have to have it, then anything over $20 can be justified via the love of owning it. If he will take $24000USD and you really want it that would be top dollar but that is reaching because the driveline is such a key factor in all of it.

It is hard to walk away from something like this because it's so nice, but if your looking for something original I would say keep looking and be patient.