WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS??

STEVE POLLARD

Guest myold88

I get stuck watching these auto reality shows but you got to take them for what they are- fake. They all have an unrealistic time frame to finish

and it's always about making money. I've been in this hobby almost 50 years and I was never in it for the money. Also, the errors are funny to say

the least. On one show they were looking for a replacement engine. They found one but couldn't use it because it was a 12 volt, not a 6 volt engine.

There isn't an answer to this thread QUESTION. Oh, I guess you could say, BECAUSE THEY CAN, WANT TO, ENJOY BEING DIFFERENT, AND MANY OTHER REASONS.

Each to his/her own,

Dale in Indy

Dale, remember that joke that has to with dogs doing things because they can...... Just because you do things does not make it right

Everybody has got their thing. You don't have to like it, participate in it or support it. Just got to accept some things in life will rub you the wrong way.

Chris This is not a "thing" in life that some have no choice in. This is really in my eyes a disregard for our history and the artifacts that survived attrition still with their original patena.

Again, I will pose the question again, because there really was no answer to the question I presented given. I am not talking about things that were done when the items were new. Cutting off legs of furniture prior to it becoming an antique does not count. I am not asking why people do things, I am asking why it is accepted in our hobby and not in others. This question was asked to me by a antique toy collector that is buyng some of my late fathers collection

"I do have a question based on your point that no none can answer; How come with any hobby that collects antique artifacts or machinery it would be considered blasphemy to destroy an original piece of furniture, or toy or any other mass produced antique object, and why has it become acceptable in ours?

We don't see anyone destroying the finish of a lithographed toy because they liked it better painted purple"

Chris This is not a "thing" in life that some have no choice in. This is really in my eyes a disregard for our history and the artifacts that survived attrition still with their original patena. And it is just going to rub you the wrong way. My case and point. Sorry but those are the facts of these 'things' in life. The world has plundered and destroyed history and artifacts for well over 2000 years. Yes, it is not right but it happens.

Again, I will pose the question again, because there really was no answer to the question I presented given. So why pose it again? I am not talking about things that were done when the items were new. Cutting off legs of furniture prior to it becoming an antique does not count. I am not asking why people do things, I am asking why it is accepted in our hobby and not in others. It is not overly accepted by all in the hobby. Just a few. Normally those with deep pockets and a shoehorn to put in a crated ZR-whatever motor ;).

At the end of the day it boils down to $$. Flip a car with new goodies=$$.

Dale, remember that joke that has to with dogs doing things because they can...... Just because you do things does not make it right

But the dog needs to still have them and the guys who do these mods still think they do.

I see a lot to be worked up about a car like this. These cars were popular to modify when they were new or fairly new. It was hard to see one cruising around not dragging it's rear end, riding on tiny rims, with gaudy metal flake paint jobs, interiors trimmed out in crushed velour and dingle balls and being steered with stupid chain link steering wheels in LA.

I can't remember the last time I've seen an unmolested original 60's Impala, maybe in 1975 when my folks sold their 67 Impala. I'm still upset to this day they didn't give a chance to have it.

Forgive me, but I thought I had given a considered, reasoned answer as to why there are people who think it is acceptable to trash our motoring heritage. At the risk of repeating myself, the reason is that many people, for reasons to do with popular culture, do not espouse the same value judgements where old cars are concerned as they would for other antique artefacts. This lack of respect for original old cars is compounded by the potential for profit to be garnered from modifications that change the original vehicle into something other than that which it's makers intended.

Personally, I have regard for the quality of workmanship seen in top flight hot rods but I do think we need to consider how much further we can go as the practise of converting genuine historic vehicles into hybrids is not, and never has been, sustainable.

Ray. <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4dd8d9fb/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Don't take this the wrong way, but is there a shortage of 1968 Chevys? I'm the kind of guy who likes my cars original, but I don't shed a tear for most of the cars that get modified simply because there are thousands of them. Sure a low-mileage "survivor" might have some minor collector interest to it, but it's still not a valuable or particularly scarce car and if you desperately want one, there are plenty to choose from that are equal to that car. But to answer your question (Why would you do this?), there are several obvious reasons why this was done:

1) Profit. How much was the car worth as it sat or if they had tuned it up and made it run perfectly? $10,000? $12,000? Certainly not much more than that. How much was it worth when it was done? Probably quite a bit more than that. I don't know what they invested in the build and it's hard to make money doing that kind of stuff but I bet the car generated some profit for someone somewhere.

2) Entertainment. Whether the guys on TV make money building cars or not is academic, it's entertainment. The TV producers are bankrolling the build and the accompanying drama. How many good, clean used late-model 1968 Chevys were driven off of cliffs in high-speed pursuits in old movies? It's entertainment, nothing more.

3) Marketability. Yes, we love original cars, that's what this club is about. But they all can't be saved. That car was surely for sale and someone other than the TV show guys knew of its existence and availability. Why didn't someone "save" the car if it was so desirable? Would someone have bought it as it sat? I watch the market and talk to buyers every day and to be honest, there are so many cars out there that some are almost impossible to sell except for pennies on the dollar, and this might be one of them. Just because it's your personal favorite car doesn't mean it should be everyone's favorite, and yes, there's a demographic shift going on where people want modified cars and expect luxuries like fuel injection, overdrive transmissions, and air conditioning. They aren't buying the cars to experience what life was like in 1968, they're buying the cars because they like how they look and how they make them feel and because they like to have something unique (relatively speaking, of course). Tastes and expectations in the old car hobby are changing, like it or not.

We shed bitter tears and shake our fists at people who cut up good old cars, but unless someone steps up and puts their money on the line to rescue it, well, there isn't much to complain about if someone else does put their money on the line. It's like complaining about the government when you don't vote.

Some cars are offensive if they are cut up (the guys building rods from Full Classics, for example), but a mass-produced car with a top that doesn't go down and a garden-variety powertrain? Just because it's managed to exist for 50 years doesn't make it special. I've managed to exist for 45 years with all my original parts, but I'm hardly something unique or magical. Hell, I wouldn't mind an upgrade or two...

Well Mat what do you think of this one. A 1939 Packard coupe, beautiful car in burgundy just rolled down the auction block at Barrett/Jackson Florida a few minutes ago, beautiful that is until they raised the hood to find a small block ford in the place of the stately straight eight. There were not thousands then and even less obviously today. Butchers & bastards!

Bleach, you mention the following " I can't remember the last time I've seen an unmolested original 60's Impala, maybe in 1975 when my folks sold their 67 Impala "

Here is a photo of my original, unmolested 1969 Impala Custom, I purchased it 10 years ago with 4990 miles on it, it current has 6700 miles. The Impala was runner up in the 2010 Hemmings Motor News New England Concours which was held in Stratton Vermont.

post-88015-143143076925_thumb.jpg

It's rampant.

I bet 98% of the buyers of "old" cars buy them and then proceed to do everything under the sun to "improve" them into something they aren't....... :rolleyes:

I've never been a performance freak and like my cars to stay stock......not SHOW stock but driver stock.

If I didn't like my cars as they're supposed to be I would have bought other cars.

I watch Fast and Loud purely for entertainment.......but his paint guys are amazing....... :P

Steve, you must be so proud of that '69 Impala Custom!! There can't be too many unspoilt ones left with that kind of mileage? I expect you consider yourself a custodian of a rather special piece of motoring history.

I always think that American cars from the fifties and sixties exhibit a great sense of confidence which mirrored the National mood at the time. How I wish we could restore that feeling just as well as we can restore the cars!

Ray. <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4dd8d9fb/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Thanks John, yes I know the Leunig's ( Steve, Warren and Steve ) great people and very knowledgeable regarding Chevrolet full size. I'll have to check in with them to see if they are attending the Rhinebeck Antique Car Show here in New York in a few weeks.

It's rampant.

I bet 98% of the buyers of "old" cars buy them and then proceed to do everything under the sun to "improve" them into something they aren't.....

While it may be rampant, I can't imagine 98% improve them in that way..... But, stranger things have happened....

Cort :)www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve

"The more things change the more they stay the same" __ Kenny Chesney __ 'Summertime'

Just a suggestion. Next time you visit a classic car show, as you look around make a note of how many cars have their original wheels. One of the first signs that an old car may have fallen into less sensitive hands is a nice set of alloys. Not very scientific, I know, but quite a good general indicator I think.

Modified cars will these days make up a sizeable proportion of most shows. It is not my place to judge what others do but I like to understand what it is that people find irresistible in making their very old cars go incredibly fast when the public roads are so inhibited with speed restrictions. I find the whole street rod thing confusing.

but I like to understand what it is that people find irresistible in making their very old cars go incredibly fast when the public roads are so inhibited with speed restrictions. I find the whole street rod thing confusing.

Same here Ray

Not only do they change out the wheels Ray, but I seen some beautiful restored vehicles which had the suspension change as well. Perfect example, last year while at a show, an individual pull onto the show field with a 1971 Chevrolet Chevelle SS. The paint on this car was stunning, but what RUINED the overall effect was after-market tires/rims and he had the rear of the car lifted so high, it looked like he was driving down hill on level ground! Not only did he ruined the visual effect but the drivability of the Chevelle as well. He basically ruined the center of gravity of the car, GM did not design their vehicles to be alter in such a way that could be dangerous to the driver and others on the roadways.

Steve

I share your bewilderment, Steve. I would probably be the last person to criticise another exhibitor face to face, not because I lack the gumption but because I feel that to do so would simply play into their hands. For whatever reason, some people are determined to attract attention to themselves and no doubt enjoy what they perceive to be notoriety.

Not only do they change out the wheels Ray, but I seen some beautiful restored vehicles which had the suspension change as well. Perfect example, last year while at a show, an individual pull onto the show field with a 1971 Chevrolet Chevelle SS. The paint on this car was stunning, but what RUINED the overall effect was after-market tires/rims and he had the rear of the car lifted so high, it looked like he was driving down hill on level ground! Not only did he ruined the visual effect but the drivability of the Chevelle as well. He basically ruined the center of gravity of the car, GM did not design their vehicles to be alter in such a way that could be dangerous to the driver and others on the roadways.

Steve

Not only that Steve, the cars ( 1960's-1970 intermediate GM cars) were designed for 14-15" wheels. anything larger makes those cars look like they are on steroids.

Another mistake of 50's 60's car owners is putting skirts on cars that were designed NOT to have skirts such as 1954 Olds Starfire 98 ( the first car to use rear " sweep cut fender styling" which IS a styling feature ) 1955 Olds 98 & starfire, all 1956 Olds, all 57 Olds, all 1959 Olds. 1956 Chevrolet, 1957 Chevrolet, 1959 Chevrolet. 1957 Pontiac, 1959 Pontiac and after sweep cut styling any rear wheel house that has a raised wheel lip.

Just a suggestion. Next time you visit a classic car show, as you look around make a note of how many cars have their original wheels. One of the first signs that an old car may have fallen into less sensitive hands is a nice set of alloys. Not very scientific, I know, but quite a good general indicator I think.

In general, yes. However, I know a few older gentleman (60s/70s) who've swapped out original wheels for aftermarket wheels to make it look different. Myself, I MUCH prefer the stock look, including wheels, but wheels always seem to be the easiest thing to change.

*shrugs*

"We'd drive around" __ Cheap Trick __ 'In The Street (That '70s Show)'

Let's face it, guys - unrestored cars ARE NOT holy things. And when you moan and carry on about a modified car, you are really complaining about something that doesn't matter in the long run. There are bigger problems in the world to solve, ya know? In another hundred years, how many will care? Darn few. How many folks do you hear complaining about modified wagons and carriages from the horse drawn era? Darn few. Get over your self-righteous attitudes about cars. I love them all - antique, rods, racecars, monster trucks - whatever. Change is inevitable. So stop whining.

Our mission statement: America's premiere resource for the collectible vehicle community!

Since its inception there has been something about the sight, sound, and feel of the automobile that stirs the imagination and the desire to experience the freedom of the open road. Whether it’s the clatter of the single cylinder brass era car or the heavy thumping of big block Detroit musclecars that fuels the addiction, we are all kindred spirits. Vintage cars, trucks, buses, and motorcycles are our bond.Since 1935, AACA has had one goal: The preservation and enjoyment of automotive history of all types. From National Meets and Tours to Regional events, AACA is here to bring enthusiasts together through exciting National activities, friendship, and Antique Automobile… an award winning 100-page full color magazine.

We’re glad you found us. Stay and “nose” around our website and forums. We have something for everyone. You don’t have to own a vehicle or know how to turn a wrench. You can be involved at any level you wish. Whether it’s joining our judging teams, doing research in our vast library, or taking the family through the excitement of a National Meet or Tour, the possibilities are endless. Also make sure you visit the world class AACA Museum here in Hershey, PA the “sweetest city on earth.”

So, spend time with us and others sharing your passion. Join up. It's less than the price of a tank of gas and lasts all year. Then check out our Regions and Chapters to find one near you. Get behind the wheel of AACA. We know you’re going to love the ride.

As mention in the AACA mission statement "The preservation and enjoyment of automotive history of all types." That's why I joined this organization. If I'd liked Monster Trucks or customized vehicles with chromed out engine / suspension, fuzzy dashboards, undercarriage illuminated etc... I guess I would be involved with that aspect of the automotive hobby.. I prefer this. To each their own.

Let's face it, guys - unrestored cars ARE NOT holy things. And when you moan and carry on about a modified car, you are really complaining about something that doesn't matter in the long run. There are bigger problems in the world to solve, ya know? In another hundred years, how many will care? Darn few. How many folks do you hear complaining about modified wagons and carriages from the horse drawn era? Darn few. Get over your self-righteous attitudes about cars. I love them all - antique, rods, racecars, monster trucks - whatever. Change is inevitable. So stop whining.

Red rags and Bulls spring to mind!!

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/4dd8d9fb/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

To what Steveimpala just said;

As mention in the AACA mission statement "The preservation and enjoyment of automotive history of all types." That's why I joined this organization. If I'd liked Monster Trucks or customized vehicles with chromed out engine / suspension, fuzzy dashboards, undercarriage illuminated etc... I guess I would be involved with that aspect of the automotive hobby.. I prefer this. To each their own.

I will add; Reading the AACA's mission statement and being in accord with that statement , and I and all of you being on the AACA site in the general forum have a interest in the mission statement and if you don't you shouldn't be whining about us or the club. If these things matter to us and not to you I think you need to rethink why you are here on this forum instead of trying to change things/minds here. It is very possible that most of the cars that we cherish will not be around in a hundred years because of fuel, parts, or from the growing environmental movement that has instilled in our children that these vehicles we love so dearly are bad. However, that maybe in the future, but it is not now and this is our time here on earth so let the people who own and like these cars the way they came new from the factory do our own thing and you go and do your own thing over at the Hamb or somewhere else. Sound like a plan?

Helfen, I like your diplomatic tone of your reply. I could have never phrased it that way. Most of us joined the AACA so we could enjoy these cars just as they left the factory. I connect these cars to a bygone era when life had less complexities. I like to get in my car and feel it's a time machine. I don't even need to drive anywhere.

If people want to "modernize" them or share the results of that, there are other sites for that. I don't need to be told to get over it or change my attitudes. I joined here so I wouldn't need to hear it or see what I don't want to see.

Steve, you have a very nice car. I've been wanting to tell you that for some time. Don't change a thing.

Most of us joined the AACA so we could enjoy these cars just as they left the factory. I connect these cars to a bygone era when life had less complexities. I like to get in my car and feel it's a time machine. I don't even need to drive anywhere.

I feel the same way. I've owned newer cars for daily drivers, but have gone back to older ones ... because I feel at home in those.

"You know we'll have a good time then" __ Harry Chapin __ 'Cats In The Cradle'

Why, oh Why, Oh Why do the guys in the white coats chase after me??? Maybe it is because they have been brain washed into thinking that a 100 year old car with the original Drive Train should be in a museum and stay there.... screw em, I'll keep driving it till they catch me. :P Dandy Dave!

Back to the ubiquitous mods that seem to be "required" for all old cars, and their effect on availability of good originals:

Mama had a 69 Impala Sport Coupe that got used completely up- she loved that car more than any she ever owned, and drove it till the floors were too rusty to pass VA inspection. Nowadays replacing floors is no big deal but in the late 70s it was just a ten year old used car.

I'd like to have another Sport Coupe but those are hard to find, and when you do they've always been "personalized". Think donked, loaded with electronic gadgets, non-original drivetrain- which doesn't meet my standards at all. Custom Coupes and convertibles are common enough, but I've never liked the outsized 69-73 Custom Coupe sailpanels and converts can get pricey. I'd consider a Sport Sedan but we all know nobody saved the four-doors.

In six years of looking thru auto traders, I've found exactly one that met the criteria- surpassed it actually. Car was unrestored original, 327/PG, buckets/console, original wheelcovers, skirts, no VT, and Glacier Blue same as Mama's. And natcherly it was all the way across the country...

Edited by rocketraider (see edit history)

Rocketraider - Try "searchtempest.com"..... I normal pull up this web site a few times during the week to see what's out there regarding the '69 models ( Biscayne, Bel Air, Caprice and Impala ) . Believe me, they are out there... GM built many of them, it's just a matter of finding the right one!

Steve

Has anyone on the forum bought one of these TV assembled cars? It would really be interesting to find out where they are today, where the owner takes them, how happy they are with the build quality, and how the cars are holding up. The stories must be as incredible as the shows ........ incredible; interesting word.

Cuba is opening now. Maybe the car shows will be replaced by a reality show about a Cuban drummer who comes to the US to play in night clubs and marries a red haired Irish girl from the Southern Tier of New York. Now, there's a hair brained idea from a show.

Bernie