1930 model 60: bent/warped damper pulley

studebrooklyn

post-57961-143143070522_thumb.jpg

Greetings -

Regarding my 1930 Buick model 68:

The damper pulley (the one that runs directly off the crankshaft and spins the fanbelt) is bent and wobbles when it spins.

It is NOT loose.

The warping is not drastic; the belt stays on fine and doesn't seem to wiggle, but it is also not minor; it's clearly visible.

It was this way when I purchased the car.

Since then, I've driven the car over a thousand miles like this without incident, but I'm wondering what i should do?

Am I damaging the engine, welcoming a larger problem by keeping it this way?

I could try straightening it, but am afraid of causing a bigger problem. should i look for a replacement damper pulley?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

Michael

Edited by studebrooklyn (see edit history)

Michael:

I believe a competent machine shop can straighten things out to your satisfaction. Again thanks for the music!! We were playing the CD while on the BCA Pre-war After tour at Portland. We had a 1930 Roadster with us to complete the effect.

post-79073-14314307015_thumb.jpg

post-79073-143143070145_thumb.jpg

Thanks Larry - so glad you are enjoying the music! We have another recording which will be done soon, I'll send you that too if you like.

Regarding the pulley:

How does it demount from the crankshaft; any idea? Or would the machinist straighten it out attached to the block?

seems tough to access on the engine and the radiator might need to come out?

thanks!

Michael

If it isnt that bad, leave it alone. To remove the pulley, you'll have to remove the radiator - no fun.

If the wobble is really slight, the crank pulley is so far away from the fan pulley that I'd doubt it would cause a problem.

However, do pay attention to the fan pulley hub and make sure that it is OK. I have known of them failing and going into the radiator.

On my '31, when the hub started to squeel, I found the little fiber gear stripped. I made a ball bearing hub to replace the original and it looked exactly like the original. Plus, no more oil slung all over the place! I believe someone is making those type hubs now - well worth the cost and peace of mind - that radiator is expensive.