55 Super Motor mounts

Tony M

Hello again . So after I removed the oil pan, 4 freeze plugs, exhaust manifolds, etc,etc, I am down to the MOTOR MOUNTS. I removed the nuts and bolts on the mounts, and loosened 2 bolts on the trans mount. Started to jack up the engine and it seemed tight so I shut down for the night. Is there anything else that I should be aware of and /or loosen up before I put some big muscle on jacking up the engine when I get back to it tomorrow ? Thanks again. Tony M.

Thanks Mike. Do the brackets that mount to the block need to be removed too ?

Also , do you have any pix of the bottom of the motor and trans. I'm repainting and want correct colors. I know the oil pan is Buick green. What about fly wheel cover? Trans pan etc. Thanks again

Ok. Next issue. The studs on the old mounts are spaced at 1-9/16" center to center. The studs on the new mounts are 1-7/16" center to center. If I spread them apart, I'm sure that they will not insert into the holes correctly. Should I look at a different supplier ?

Ok. Before I do any modifications, I ordered a new set from Bobs Automobilia. At least I might have a chance of getting an original set of mounts that were revulcanized. I HOPE.... Another weekend of looking at the ol' Buick sitting on jack stands instead of wearing out the tires. Thanks again everybody.

Tony M.

Guest DiXiEnailhead
Ok. Next issue. The studs on the old mounts are spaced at 1-9/16" center to center. The studs on the new mounts are 1-7/16" center to center. If I spread them apart, I'm sure that they will not insert into the holes correctly. Should I look at a different supplier ?

Hey Tony, did you get the improperly spaced mounts from CARS? Because that's what I bought, I haven't had a chance to try them yet.

Ok. Before I do any modifications, I ordered a new set from Bobs Automobilia. At least I might have a chance of getting an original set of mounts that were revulcanized. I HOPE.... Another weekend of looking at the ol' Buick sitting on jack stands instead of wearing out the tires. Thanks again everybody.

Tony M.

Tony has more patience than I do, but I have an excuse...I'm old :D

Willie

Guest DiXiEnailhead

Why would they make mounts that are off by an 1/8th inch, how exactly does that happen haha? I'll try them before moving forward but I'm thinking I might try to have the originals remanufactured if possible. I also noticed that the base of the CARS mounts just look kind of chintzy they are made of thinner flat pieces of steel. They are adequate I suppose but Buick did it better, no surprise there.

Edited by DiXiEnailhead (see edit history)

All. They are from CARS. I did order another pair from Bobs Automobilia, hoping that I will get back an original pair that was revulcanized. I need to return my old ones. Can't wait to get those to see if they are any better, Before I start " Modifying ". Thanks for the patience comment OLD TANK. I will keep everyone posted.

Tony M

OK. Now were getting close !!! I received the next set of motor mounts. Looks like they were originals that were revulcanized. So far it looks like an EXACT MATCH. Spread and locations. Now all I have to do is get them installed. Darn day job gets in the way of all my fun. Tony M.

Latest and GREATEST. The new motor mounts just about fell into place with no effort at all. These were original mounts that were revulcanized. If I had these originally, replacement time would have been under 2 hours without a doubt. NO MODIFICATION NEEDED.

Now all I need to do is get everything put back together that I needed to take off to replace the oil pan gasket.

Tony M.