71 Nova possibly for sale

I am the original owner of a 1971 Nova, 2 door coupe, 6cy, automatic. It is basically original, unmolested, except it has newer upholstery (20 years ago), gas tank, and had one small rust area in right rear fender replaced with metal and is basically rust free having been most of its life in a garage. The transmission has never been worked on and now leaks, and engine has 135K miles and it too has never been worked on but now has a low level click, presumably a valve. It was saved with the idea of hot rodding it but attention has been diverted to other cars (Studebakers and a hot rod Avanti) and age is a major factor that gets more acute every day. If anyone has an interest in this car before it possibly goes on Ebay, let me know. Has been licensed and insured for all of its life but hardly ever driven in the past 25 years. It's in Virginia.

Pictures added, it's currently in cramped storage, will have better setting when, or if, it stops raining.

It will go on ebay this summer, $5,000 or best reasonable offer will take.   

SOLD

post-91418-143143069603_thumb.jpg

post-91418-143143069606_thumb.jpg

post-91418-143143069609_thumb.jpg

post-91418-143143069612_thumb.jpg

post-91418-143143069614_thumb.jpg

post-91418-143143069616_thumb.jpg

post-91418-143143069618_thumb.jpg

Edited by ken1007 (see edit history)

When was it painted and what is the color? How much are you asking?

It was painted about 10-15 years ago, it's the original silver color for that year. Have not set price as I do not know enough about Nova pricing, and in fact may not sell it. For decades my efforts have been with Studebaker restoration and am currently working on a 35 model.

Guest Mkulina

There are a lot of folks who would be very interested in this. It's a nice beginner hobby car and they are drivable and reliable as it is. So please post a price and let the games begin.

There are a lot of folks who would be very interested in this. It's a nice beginner hobby car and they are drivable and reliable as it is. So please post a price and let the games begin.

After many years of frame off Studebakers, all but one was a rust bucket, you are right, this would be a great beginner car especially for a DIYer to drive or hot rod without much worry and or effort. I have searched Ebay and Hemmings and can not find a comparable car, they are either 350 converted, or in bad shape.

My feeling at this point is that I will not be able to hot rod this car and I am open to offers, which is what would happen if I put it on Ebay

Appears to be a nice car, and thank you for posting the pictures of it. Good luck with your sale.

This is the type of posting I really dislike, however. It's a fishing expedition, and you start it by saying gee, don't know if I really want to sell it...thus basically saying someone come talk me out of it at a high price..what you want is for someone to come offer you a huge amount of money for it, which isn't going to happen.

In my mind, there are two things wrong with this kind of post. First, it's either for sale, or not. Second, you have in your mind some price, everyone does, maybe it's 10K, maybe it's 20K, maybe it's 100K, who knows, but regardless of the true value of the car, you have a number in mind. It would be the reserve if you put it on Ebay.

So, my advice, if you want to move forward, is decide on the first thing, and then, if it's for sale, post a price. Yes, you will be offered less, if you get an offer at all from this forum (which has proven to be an iffy way of selling a car to start with, judging from some previous feedback from dealers and others), but at least it makes things move forward.

• 2 months later...

Being something of an oddball apparently, loving cars with straight 6 engines, if I wanted a driver of that period I would buy it BECAUSE it has a six.

I'll guarantee every time the next owner raises the hood on that car some dumbass it going to say "You oughta drop a 327, 350, pick a number V8 in there!".......G U A R A N T E E!........  :angry:

That it's a 2 door hardtop (NOT BUBBLETOP!) makes it quite desirable in my books.

Appears to be a nice car, and thank you for posting the pictures of it. Good luck with your sale.

This is the type of posting I really dislike, however. It's a fishing expedition, and you start it by saying gee, don't know if I really want to sell it...thus basically saying someone come talk me out of it at a high price..what you want is for someone to come offer you a huge amount of money for it, which isn't going to happen.

In my mind, there are two things wrong with this kind of post. First, it's either for sale, or not. Second, you have in your mind some price, everyone does, maybe it's 10K, maybe it's 20K, maybe it's 100K, who knows, but regardless of the true value of the car, you have a number in mind. It would be the reserve if you put it on Ebay.

So, my advice, if you want to move forward, is decide on the first thing, and then, if it's for sale, post a price. Yes, you will be offered less, if you get an offer at all from this forum (which has proven to be an iffy way of selling a car to start with, judging from some previous feedback from dealers and others), but at least it makes things move forward.

Thanks for your thoughts but one can easily believe that any sale that has a "reserve" is a "FISHING EXPEDITION" and is saying "it is either for sale, or not" .  In any case it sold within 2 hours of posting and was  offered more than asking price.  The basic problem with this sale was that it represented an acknowledgement that it was the 44 year old family car, with all its emotional attachments,  that reaffired our advanced age.  Ken  

Edited by ken1007 (see edit history)