What is in a word

Joe in Canada

Almost every time someone talks about an old car they refer to it as a classic. It does not matter if they are referring to a 57 Chevy convertible or a 75 Volkswagen I keep hearing the word classic. Rare to hear the word antique, old, nostalgic, collectible, vintage, I do know what a Classic car is but what is the adjective term classic actually refer to?? By the way things are being described all cars are classics

Guest my3buicks

Joe, do some searches, this topic has been discussed many time and there are hundreds of thoughts on the other threads

Guest AlCapone

This subject has been discussed over and over again. If you search it you will find enough responses to keep you reading all night !

Wayne

This subject has been discussed over and over again. If you search it you will find enough responses to keep you reading all night!

The threads get locked quickly as they degenerate

Sorry did I just open a can of worms???????????????????

Not really Joe. We have been using "nicknames" for everything in our lives. Just like you probably call your wife Susan? I call mine Gloria! I just NEVER call her Classic (big C). Please don't ever tell her that I just said that? :cool:

Wayne

Why do people get so hung up on words? First, the layman seller typically has no clue, so ads from that source should be taken with a grain of salt. Second, most dealers will load up on-line ads with as many terms that will generate a hit in search engines as possible. This is unfortunately what ebay and other sources teach in "how to sell your car" articles. Again, ignore them. Life is far too short to worry about stuff like this. The vehicle will speak for itself.

There are probably a dozen threads on the use of the world "Classic" & "classic' to describe a car. When somebody uses big "C" classic to describe a 64 Rambler I immediately think neophyte. I'm an old school precision of language kinda guy and I don't get mad when someone incorrectly uses "Classic" but I do stop listening to them.

Guest bkazmer

"First, the layman seller typically has no clue"

then the layman seller shouldn't use a term he doesn't understand

"First, the layman seller typically has no clue"

then the layman seller shouldn't use a term he doesn't understand

What if he's selling an 87 Caprice Classic? Or as noted above a Rambler Classic. LOL The word is shaped, bent,misused and abused daily. No point in getting hot under the collar over it.

I've owned several Classic's. All Chev Caprices!!

I suggest making a post concerning a car recognized by the Classic Car Club of America should use the term "True Classic" and those posting concerning maybe a '55 Chevy whould definitely avoid the term "True Classic." It's like I say about a hearse; putting a skull on the hood of it detracts from the honor and respect the car deserves because it was created for a noble purpose and not to entertain the ghouls at Halloween.

Guest Bob Call

Crappy TV reality shows have completely bastardized the adjectives classic and numbers matching by applying them to whatever crap car they are trying to flip.

Crappy TV reality shows have completely bastardized the adjectives classic and numbers matching by applying them to whatever crap car they are trying to flip.

A bit surprised this wasn't mentioned earlier.

Along those same lines, perhaps, I've seen so many older cars for sale with outrageous (well, in my opinion, anyway) prices ... that I've often wondered if those "asking prices" would be so high if those shows didn't exist.

Cort :)www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve

"What if that road is a beautiful slow drive?" __ Melissa Lawson __ 'What If It All Goes Right?'

Even posters to this topic may not understand the importance of "words". Throw a little open mindedness into standards and a dab of misunderstanding...... there is no limit to the mediocrity one can experience. My heritage goes hand in hand with words. Google O'Dalaigh and get a smile. My Sister, Daughter and I are always swapping examples of the "New Literacy". My Wife is a librarian. Stop by a library and ask, at the desk, what their thoughts about self publishing are. I'm laughing now anticipating your shock.

The TV shows become apparent if you try to create a parody of one. You can't. They are parodies as they are. No graduate from the fourth grade in the United States could be as stupid or get into the situations portrayed in the programs. Recently the guys at coffee were talking about a sidekick abandoned beside a lonely road for hours with no hope of being taken home. Alone on a deserted stretch of highway with nothing but a camera crew, give me a break.

Words and understanding communication; pretty important. Even Classic cannot be taken out of context. One needs to know if the user is a knowledgeable enthusiast, a salesman, or ignorant. Ignorant can be fixed.

Bernie

My point is that most people don't even know which end of their car has the drive wheels. Don't expect them to understand the subtleties of the definition of a "Classic". It's a waste of time to worry about what the general public thinks or says. You might as well start tilting at windmills.