Getting ready to "wet" systems.

Beltfed

After nearly three years of working on the '38 Zephyr coupe I'm getting close to putting fluids in the systems. What are your suggestions on the tranny oil and the rear end grease/oil? The tranny is the three speed orginial with all new gears (the old gears with sitting in water). The rear end is a Columbia which has been rebuilt and bulletproof by Jim Durall. Thanks.

I would use a 90 or 140 wt GL-4 spec oil. The 140 seems to make shifting easier in the earlier transmissions. It slows thw gears slightly to give the synchronizers time to match the gear speeds. The GL-4 spec on easier on the brass parts. I would follow the directions on lubricating the Columbia that you received from the rebuilder.

Thanks Tom. I will take your suggestion and try the 140 wt. Now the rear end...Some time ago I order a quantity of 600 wt. oil for the rear end. I now believe the rear end on a 38 Zephyr is the hyphoid type. Can someone confirm this? If true I believe I should go with the very smelly hyphoid type oil. Thanks.