original exhaust with area's of black paint

Guest my3buicks

Guest my3buicks

as I am working on the undercarriage I have found the back portion of the exhaust to have black paint/black coating on it, muffler, tailpipe. There is no question that it is original exhaust and you can tell that the black is original as well. Was this like this on all of them - it makes it difficult for deciding what to do for judging, I have it all steel wooled down, but of course in some area's it's left with a smooth black coat and other area's are bare metal.

It was painted a standard GM chassis black.... sometimes it looks flat, sometimes satin.

I have polished both of my cars exhaust tips as shiny as I can and don't expect to be docked more than one point.

I have touched up the black on the muffler and related parts.

Guest my3buicks

Thanks Barney, looking over mine as I have spent more time since I posted, it seems only my muffler and tailpipes are black I see no trace of black from the muffler forward.

Guest Corvanti

since you have the muffler cleaned up, might as well paint it.:) i think i'd use a rattle can ceramic hi-temp engine paint (the muffler does get a bit warm). your choice of flat, matte, etc...

Both the muffler and the twin pipes on my car came black from the factory. No black on the pipe upstream of the muffler.

It is a good detail to look at. My car got dinged a point in Portland because there was a little bit of surface corrosion on it.

The muffler and tailpipes on my '89 and '91 are both painted flat black. IMHO it gives the car a much 'cleaner' look from the rear view.

In fact, I liked it so much, I performed the same treatment on my '06 Trail Blazer and it looks equally sharp.

Rattle cans have their place, for sure!