What is this?

Guest gixxer711

Guest gixxer711

What is this "link" in the wiring? This is in a 52 Special. The top one is the wire going thru the trunk to my fuel tank sending unit. The one below it is the wire going out to the license plate light. What do these accomplish?60AA75B2-8288-4E41-9D3A-01EF8A04F4AA_zpswqvsibzj.jpg

Guest gixxer711

Thanks for the response. I know what the wires are for, I don't understand why they go to these little plastic pieces. I have no idea what they are or why they are in the wiring. It looks like the wire plugs into it, but I cannot pull it out. The only other thing I can think of is that it is there, so the wire does not get pulled thru the body. I need to fix the wiring for the fuel gauge, but I do not know if I can eliminate that part because I do not know what it is there for.

On my '53 I have a total of 4 with the black brick shown in your photo. One goes to the fuel tank sending unit, one to the license plate light and the other two, as Chris mentioned, go to the rear back up lights on the bumper. As far as what they accomplish within themselves, I think they are just connectors to make for easier disconnect in the event you need to change the sockets or the fuel tank sending wire (rather than having to rewire an entire circuit)

Guest gixxer711

A connector is what I was thinking, I just have been unsuccessful at removing a wire on either side. Maybe I will try some needle nose pliers to get a better grip on it.

Thanks for the response. I know what the wires are for, I don't understand why they go to these little plastic pieces. I have no idea what they are or why they are in the wiring. It looks like the wire plugs into it, but I cannot pull it out. The only other thing I can think of is that it is there, so the wire does not get pulled thru the body. I need to fix the wiring for the fuel gauge, but I do not know if I can eliminate that part because I do not know what it is there for.

Looks like the female end of wire connector.

Guest 53 Roady

They have little copper pieces in them that allow them to connect 2 spade type connectors. They seem to stay on the side toward the battery. They are used to connect the window solenoids, the gas gauge and etc.

Pat