School Bus Set: Make, Model, Year?

SharonOran

Sometime between the late 1920s and early 1930s, Roane County, TN put the county's first two school buses into service.

I believe this photo may be those first two buses or others placed into service a few years later. According to local stories, the cab/passenger areas were wood frame (not metal) construction.

post-101323-143143066899_thumb.jpg

This photo appears to be the front view of one of buses in the other photo.

post-101323-143143066907_thumb.jpg

These are Depression Era photos. People made do with what they had. Roane County, TN had plenty of saw mills, excellent carpenters and creative thinkers. It wouldn’t surprise me if these two “school buses” were built from a variety of truck/car parts, local lumber and other available materials.

Can you tell me the make, model and year of these buses and if the cab/passenger areas were factory options or after factory custom work?

If necessary, I can chop the first photo in half and submit each bus individually. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Sharon

I think the one on the left of the first pic is a 1930 Chevrolet. The other one is something a bit bigger. It might be a Dodge. Similar to this one maybe? http://www.35pickup.com/olddodgetruck.jpg

I think you are correct about the Chevrolet. I think the Dodge brothers is a 1936.